2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:59 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Stereo Question

01 Ram quad, with the 'premium' infinity set up. Assuming (via searches) it's 6x9's in the doors, 5.5ish in the back, and the tweeter in the pillars.

To those who have a similar system, I've noticed the rears are significantly quieter then the front, which I'm assuming is because of the smaller speaker? What I want to know is if folks have seen a significant difference by just changing from the factory head unit to something aftermarket. I've bought infiniti speakers in the past and been happy with them, just wondering if I can get away with a new head unit and changer set up, and not worry much about speakers.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:14 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Factory Stereo Question

I think It's the same on thenewer years but onmy 97 with Infinity the front speakers have their own separate power amps built in. The rears are just conventional speakers that run off the head units internal amplifier. Kind of a waste to even install rears in the factory config.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:27 AM
squishy_1010
Rookie

I changed out my head unit today and changed the door speakers to a better Infinity speaker. I no longer have the rear speakers hooked up. The rear speakers really aren't that impressive. With all my new stuff hooked up I can't even tell the back speakers are missing. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:40 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on rabbler's info. w/o amps on the rear they are just a waste of time. changing the head unit is a good step, but the factory speakers still are not very good, and it won't sound really good until you do something with them.

in my regular cab i elected to just replace my head unit with a simple 50w cd/mp3, a used 200w 2 channel amp from ebay, and a set of new rockford 6x9's, also from ebay. i disconnected the rears in order to keep the cost down on the amp and speakers. only spent about $250. sounds great.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 PM
hutch1973
Captain

I'm just debating how much to do. I have a brand new Alpine mrp-f250 amp just sitting in a box, waiting for something. I had bought it for a Jeep TJ I was going put a stereo in, but sold the thing before I had a chance. I don't mind replacing all the speakers and putting the amp in, but just figured if a head unit would be enough, and much quicker, why not?

Quick Reply: Factory Stereo Question