2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Instrument Cluster Woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Acrylicophobia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Woes

Ok, I really tried to research and fix this by myself, but I'm having no luck, so I figure it's time to post. This is on a 1998 Ram 1500, 5.9L 4x4 (Quad Cab, not that it matters).

Basically, none of my gauges work. Whether the truck is turned on or off, the fuel/temp/pressure/amp gauge needles are pegged to the left, and the speedometer and tachometer gauges are pegged to the right. They never move, no matter how long I drive. Also, the seat belt light (unrelated, I assume), low fuel, brake and ABS lights come on a few seconds after I start moving. When I hold the trip **** and turn the key to "On," it gives the codes 920, 921, and 999. I replaced the speed sensor on the rear differential, and I've checked my grounds, but still nothing. Am I correct in what I'm starting to think, that those codes mean the CPU isn't sending signal to the dash, and the sensors are fine?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Acrylicophobia
Default RE: Instrument Cluster Woes

Also, before I forget about it, when I pulled the cluster to check grounds, the only connections were the two square connectors. No separate wires connecting to it. It pulled straight out without having to unscrew or unhook anything. Is that the problem? There was some black wire-looking thing back there, but it only had a plastic connector on the end, and didn't look like it had any contact to connect ot anything. I thought it might've been something with the climate control...

Old 10-29-2007, 09:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it just seats into those plugs. no wires.
i replaced mine last year when my speedo quit. bought one on ebay for $25,
if you go that route be sure and get the correct year model and auto/non-auto trans.
also the mileage was stored in the cluster on my 01, so my odometer changed.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run the test again and after you get the 999 code press the trip **** and see what happens.
920 means that "the cluster is not receiving a vehicle speed message from the PCM
921 means that " the cluster is not receiving a distance pulse message from the PCM.
999 means that "an error has been discovered"

After 999 appears press the trip know again and the test should resume. See if all lights come on and if all gauges respond. The needles should move and stop at various intervals until they make a full sweep.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Acrylicophobia

I'll go try that now, didn't know it would continue after throwing codes. Thanks. I'll post when I see what it does.

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

Run the test again and after you get the 999 code press the trip **** and see what happens.
920 means that "the cluster is not receiving a vehicle speed message from the PCM
921 means that " the cluster is not receiving a distance pulse message from the PCM.
999 means that "an error has been discovered"

After 999 appears press the trip know again and the test should resume. See if all lights come on and if all gauges respond. The needles should move and stop at various intervals until they make a full sweep.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Acrylicophobia

Ok, I did the guage check, and after the codes, I pressed the trip ****, and it did go ahead through the test. I was surprised, the speedo moved back to 0 mph. When I ran it a second time, the tachometer moved back to 0 rpm. I wasn't able to start it and go for a test drive, because everyone else here was going to bed, and my truck doesn't have a muffler (on the list of things to be fixed). I did notice that the odometer still blinked, and every time I ran the check, it would still give the same three codes. Is there a chance this will go away after I actually start the truck?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did all the guages move. oil pressure, gas hand, temp, and volt?Did the lights all light? If yes then you need to crank it. If everything seemed to work during the self test then it may not be your cluster. I hate to say it, but you could take it to a dealer and they can hook up a diag tool and see if the PCM is sending out messages to the cluster. Or see if the sensors are sending info to the PCM.....Might cost you alittle bit of money, but is cheaper than throwing parts at to try and fix

Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Acrylicophobia

All of the gauges moved. It was almost like the tach and speedometer needles were stuck or something, but when I ran the test the third time, every needle moved over together in increments, the way they should. The lights all turned on together as well. Though, if I remember correctly, it was supposed to test each section of the cluster then the whole, as opposed to just all of the lights then all of the needles.

I'll start it up tomorrow morning and see what happens, but yeah, I agree, throwing parts at something is never the best solution. Just thought I'd try that sensor since it seems they go out regularly and it affects the cluster. I checked every fuse earlier, and they are all good. Some of the cluster lights work properly, such as the blinker indicators, hi beam, 4wd lights. But the odometer was flashing and not showing miles as I was driving, none of the needle gauges were moving, and the speedo and tach were pegged, never moving. Oh well, that'll be my next stop, other than maybe somewhere for an alignment.

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

Did all the guages move. oil pressure, gas hand, temp, and volt?Did the lights all light? If yes then you need to crank it. If everything seemed to work during the self test then it may not be your cluster. I hate to say it, but you could take it to a dealer and they can hook up a diag tool and see if the PCM is sending out messages to the cluster. Or see if the sensors are sending info to the PCM.....Might cost you alittle bit of money, but is cheaper than throwing parts at to try and fix

Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Acrylicophobia

Yeah, after going through the self test and cranking the truck, the gauges still do not work. I guess after I get the tires straightened out, I'll take it by a shop to get it checked out.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:03 PM
99ramvan

same problem with my 99 ram van. if you ever get it figured out, post it.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Woes