2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Coverlay
54.55%
Geno's Garage dash overlay
18.18%
Other, please post
27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Which Dash Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:43 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Dash Cover?

im pretty interested in ur thread keep me posted on what u choose i have a carpet overlay the previous owner put in and its ugly but not as ugly as the cracks so im in need of a new peice also....j im not the bedcap type....lol

Old 11-04-2007, 03:47 AM
sstgonzo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i just got a dash from a junkyard and its flawless but I don't wanna tear my dash apart so im selling it in hope to find more or a custom option

Old 11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
AustinTx

[8D] I installed coverlay 2 days ago. It looks pretty good. With shipping it was $180. There are a couple of areas that are slightly off by 1/8 an inch by both doors, and 1/8" slightly higher on the corners of the passenger side airbag, but that is probably due to the flexing of the dash. I only had two long cracks in the dash and one short one by the vent. But I am selling my 99 RAM 1500 (59K miles, V6, great shape $4200 in Austin Tx) to buy a new jeep with the lifetime power train warranty. I will keep it till I die. So I am fixing the bells and whistles, so the new owner doesn't have to worry about a thing. The dark grey was an excellent match (98% close) and was easy to install. I will take a few pics of it installed and the spots of interest, but it is an 8.5 out of 10 on presentation.

A neighbor said he pulled (rather broke) the dash out of his dodge 2 years ago. He said he just ripped the top out without undoing anything, except 2 bolts under. He put silicone adhesive on the internal bolt and bolted the 6 or 7 on the outside. His nephew has the truck and has not had any problems at all with the dash.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:55 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

austin tx says: A neighbor said he pulled (rather broke) the dash out of his dodge 2 years ago. He said he just ripped the top out without undoing anything, except 2 bolts under. He put silicone adhesive on the internal bolt and bolted the 6 or 7 on the outside. His nephew has the truck and has not had any problems at all with the dash.

?????what does anyone else make any sense of this ???????......j

Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 AM
AustinTx

[&o] He put in a new dash top with out taking the entire dash apart.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

ohhhh ok thanks for clearing that up i was just confused it happens sometimes.....j

Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I chose other but my choice would be a replacement dash not a cover. They aren't all that expensive from Dodge I think around $200 and I've heard people complain about the covers. When my dash cracked I put a new one in. The only problem with them is they are a pita to install. It took me and the mechanic I worked with 3 hours with both of us working on it.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aim...
I can't really comment on which cover to choose. However, when you finally do get one try one of these, lest you be at it again in a few years. $7 in Wally World...loads cheaper than the new dash.
WC
Oh yeah, it looks swell with my TOPPER [:@]!

Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Mike Roma
Professional

ORIGINAL: WayneC

Aim...
I can't really comment on which cover to choose. However, when you finally do get one try one of these, lest you be at it again in a few years. $7 in Wally World...loads cheaper than the new dash.
WC
It's got FEET![sm=lol.gif]

Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike Roma

ORIGINAL: WayneC

Aim...
WC
It's got FEET![sm=lol.gif]
NO, not feet, sandals.

I do have a reflective window shade, think I got it at Sam's Club in a two pack, (one for the Fiance). The problem is the Summer gets so HOT down here, it just doesn't matter, the regular cab is so small and surrounded by windows on all sides, that it just turns into an easybake ovenin there.

Anyway, I went with the Geno's dash.Looked at pics of both installed and the Geno's looked like a slightly better fit. Coverlay was about$30 more (because they are in Texas, andIwould have had to pay sales tax)plus Geno's sells cans of the Mopar interior paint, so you can get an exact match.Mine was c3 - mist grey. Bought 2 cans so I'd have it on hand for something else if needed (pillargauges possibly, or wire in tweeters).The Geno's dash is made by a company in Nevada (Atco? can't remember what he said, I'll post it when it gets here in 2 weeks) I wanted to make sure it wasn't coverlay, hehe.

Quick Reply: Which Dash Cover?