2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ticking noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM
ccdmader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ticking noise while driving

My truck was making a similar noise, as I don't go off road often it turned out to be the front U-Joints were toast. When I rolled down the window it was very noticeable. The second ticking I had, not as rythmic - worn out stabilizer bar end. The one that connects the stabilizer bar to the frame, it has a ball joint in it the fell apart so every time the truck moved it clicked.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Old 11-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Ramafication
Rookie

yea my truck started doing this ticking too and the odd shudder, get under the truck and shake your drive shaft and also put a block under your tires and put it in neutral, then turn the drive shaft back and forth while watching the ujoints at each end and check for play. my back u joint was gone and caused the tick and i thought it was coming from the front end, shows you how well sound can travel. either that or you may have a bad wheel bearing. hope this helps

Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
ONECRAZYJEEP
Professional

well good news the ticking has stopped i dont know where it is was coming from or where it went to but its gone. thanks for all the input.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If that's the case, I bet it was a sticking injector. Run some injector cleaner through about every fifth tank. Believe me, it's cheap insurance.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:34 PM
engineblock
Veteran

yean man post a video on youtube and well tell you whats wrong, just tell us when you do

Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

nvm

Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
everclear75

My truck started "ticking over the weekend". It seems to be coming from the front passenger side.
It happens only driving and gets more faster as I speed along. Also, it gets louder when I'm turning to the right. After reading some of these forums/postings, I'm beginning to think it's the front wheel bearings...

Old 01-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Matt Harwood
Professional

Exhaust leak? Mine has one on the driver's side, and it is very noticeable when it's cold, and gradually gets quieter as the metal warms up and expands. Sounds like ticking. I'm wondering if it's the Y-pipe or a cracked exhaust manifold. Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
TonkaMan
Rookie

I had a ticking sound a while back that seemed to get louder as the rpms topped off into a shift then go away into the gear, always stayed the same speed and tone. took it to dealer and they told methey had to rebuild the tranny, and that I had a misplaced rod... turns out the thing was still under warranty so I ended up having half of the engine and the tranny rebuilt for the $100 deductible. doesnt quite sound like the same ticking just something I thought I would throw out there. Good luck

Quick Reply: ticking noise while driving