2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Reverse Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007 | 08:24 PM
SilverRam_01
|
Captain
Default Reverse Lights?

I was wondering how many other people have this problem...
When I'm in reverse, the white reverse lights do not come on. If I come to a complete stop, and hold the shifter in between Park and Reverse, they come on, but when it goes back into reverse, they go out. I know this is a pretty rookie question, but is there a switch on the linkage that I can adjust, or is this something else?
Thanks in advance,
-Josh

Old 11-01-2007 | 08:36 PM
Hawaii4X4
Default RE: Reverse Lights?

My reverse lights also do not work, but I have never tried holding it between park and reverse. I'll check when I get home.

Old 11-01-2007 | 08:38 PM
SilverRam_01
|
Captain

I did it when I was stopped, I was kinda worried I'd drop it into Park if I was rolling...

Old 11-01-2007 | 09:48 PM
SilverRam_01
|
Captain

I know it was a rookie question, but I wish I knew where the switch was, because I've already smashed three different bumper-mounted, toggle operated lights. I've already ben underneath, and maybe I'm stupid, or maybe blind, butI cant find anything... my only other guesses would be in the column, or in the tranny....Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-01-2007 | 09:49 PM
WayneC
Captain

I'm not 100% sure on this adjustment, but, the backup light switch is in the transmixer. Therefore, it seems that any adjustment would be linkage related. Do you have any "slop" in the shift lever? If so, the linkage may need an adjustment which may take care of the reverse switch at the same time.
WC

Old 11-01-2007 | 09:54 PM
SilverRam_01
|
Captain

Thats the thing, I do got slop in the lever, not bad, but yo can tell. I guess I'll wait til tomorrow and sunshine, and start adjusting stuff, and see if it works... thanks.

Old 11-02-2007 | 01:57 AM
Chopper1
All Star

The older vehicles had it at the base of the steering column. I'm pretty sure ours are in the transmission. Should be a plug and reads of the movement in the trans. The slack is adjustable, sort of. If you add a body lift it is neccessary to adjust the shifter movement behind the drivers side wheel well at the firewall.
Are you having issues with the truck starting/ having to hold the shifter handle to get the neutral switch happy. Will it start OK in neutral. Will it stay in 1st gear if you put it there and stomp the gas. Adjust the rod outside the firewall can fix these unless the gromet is bad.

I adjusted mine in neutral and tested from there.

Old 11-02-2007 | 03:05 AM
SilverRam_01
|
Captain

I don't have to jiggle the shifter to satisfy the neutral switch or anything, and yeah, it stays in first when you romp it. The only other thing besides the reverse lights not coming on, is sometimes you have to jiggle it to find reverse... so anyways, thanks for al the help guys.
-Josh

Quick Reply: Reverse Lights?