2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Clunking...need help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:59 PM
dr_destructo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front End Clunking...need help please

I had a similar problem after I replaced my shocks. After a couple of days I noticed a clunking sound, mostly the passenger side. It ended up being the nut on the top of the shock. I guess after a couple of days the rubber bushing that is under the nut compressed enough that it has a bit of slop. Hit it with the impact again and it was fixed. I yhink some other guys said that lower shock bolts come loose too.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:28 AM
moparornothing

recheck the shock nut on the top of the hump under the hood. On all of our dodges they did that and it was the shock banging. I have replaced the shock and it seems that the bolt is always to small and it always rattles. check and tighten it right up. It could be that, it happened to all of ours.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 AM
rocksgreen97
Rookie

ok guys i checked the cab bolts yesterday with no luck they are all tight to specs, i checked position of the sway bar and its fine, ill have a look at the hump under the hood that you mentioned mopar and silver yea you described it to the exact detail, passenger side floorboard close to the firewall exact same problem, dont worry if i figure out what it is I will throw a big FAQ out there lol

Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 AM
rocksgreen97
Rookie

ok yesterday i did the idea that kurt posted about using paint, instead of spraying the whole passenger side wheel well area i only sprayedthe upper and lower spring areas,and control arms, and i also painted along the sway barfrom the middleover to the passenger side, instead of spraying myniceshiny new sway bar brackets and my end links i simply brushed on 'behind' the joints where they could possibly 'rub' so when i get home this afternoon i will take a good look and see what i can find.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:42 AM
mopars8

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, and was looking for this same issue. I've got a 1999 1500 4x4 Quad Cab, and after I replaced the front and rear shocks, I noticed the clunk on the front end, but mine is on the drivers side. I've replaced the stab end links and bushings as well. I've had the truck up in the air and cannot find anything loose either. The only thing that I can think of isthat the OEM torque spec is 30ftlbs for the top shock bolt, but if I try to get to that high of a torque, it squashes my top shock isolators that came with the rancho's. I'm going to switch back to the original stock isolators to see if I can get to the 30ftlbs and see if the problem goes away. I've also noticed that its gotten worse as the temperatures have gotten colder. When it was in the 60's, it was more intermittant. now that it is in the low 30's, its almost constant.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the black plastic pieces that make up the inner part of the fender.
When the plastic rivets that hold these pieces on
get loose or break
they can make clunking noises over bumps.

There are also a number of TSB's that refer to 'clunks'

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/group_23.htm

Old 11-14-2007, 07:25 AM
mopars8

I tightened up the inner fenders, but I still get the clunking sound. Also tightened the top shock bolts to the correct torque spec, but that didn't do anything either. My Dad and I spent the better part of our Saturday trying to track down the problem with no luck. You other guys having problems with this find anything?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
pup826

also am having this same problem, I have been following this post but suggestions have stopped.
\Please keep this post rollin before we all spend tons of money fixing the same problem (lol)
Maybe a solution is out there. Any other possibilities ?

Old 12-20-2007, 07:22 AM
rocksgreen97
Rookie

i posted an update in another front end clunking thread but i missed putting it here, i found that my upper spring bucket was cracked, went to my local Pick-N-Pull and snagged another one off a 95 1500 that was T-boned, since then, no more clunking from my passenger side, and i no longer feel the 'bouncing' effectin the passenger floorboard

Old 12-20-2007, 08:19 AM
G0tMudd
Veteran

i have the same problom, but i feel it in my drive foot on the floor bored, after lookin around my shocks bushing is almost gone and i can see there is about a 1/2 inch space it moves before hitting the bushing i'm 99% sure thats what causing it for me. So new bushing = $20.

Quick Reply: Front End Clunking...need help please