2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

speedo broke

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 AM
morrison82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo broke

I need a little help, the speedometer, odometer and cruise control quit working on my truck. I hooked it up to a diagnostic machine which told me to replace the speed sensor, so I did twice. I also checked the ohms and continuity witch were good. I swiched out the insrument cluster with my buddies same year truck and it still doesnt work. What else could be wrong?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: speedo broke

have you got the digitial odometer ? try the gauge test where you hold trip meter in while turning key to on, continue holding until you see CHEK, then release. it performs a gauge test where it sweeps the gauges to 1/4, then about 1/2, then full. this just tests the cluster, which you already did by swapping it out.

next, which speed sensor did you replace - rear diff or transmission/t-case tail housing. there are 2 in my 01. if you didn't replace both you might try that.

after that ???? any fuses blown in end or dash or under hood ?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:39 AM
morrison82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the instrument check which worked, and I only replaced the sensor on the transmission. Where is the sensor on the rear end and does it look like the one on the trany?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:14 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sensor on the rear axle is the one you want. It mounts through the top of the housing. Completely different sensor. Easy to replace. Check the wiring to the axle while you are back there. common for the wires to break causing the same symptoms.

Quick Reply: speedo broke