2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowering my dodge???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM
squishy_1010
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my dodge???

I know most of the trucks on this forum are 4x4 and lifted but I figuered that someone would be able to help me. I have a 2001 dodge ram single cab 2 wheel drive with a 5.9. I want to put a 2/4 drop on it using coils in the front and shackle and hanger kit on the rear. I hear some good and bad things about this drop. One of the main bad things I heard is that the 4 inch drop in the rear allows the axle to hit the bump stomps on every little bump.... true? I was hoping you guys could tell me some of the things you know. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 09:55 PM
rocksgreen97
Rookie
Default RE: Lowering my dodge???

yea back home an old friend has his lowered 2/4 and he will scrape on large speed bumps if he goes to fast but regular driving is fine, only thing is its an extremly rough ride, however i know nothing about lowering so i suppose if you do it right, and use the right parts it could ride smoother knowing my friend he went as cheap as possible

Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 PM
xtremewlr

For the rear, it is just a matter of trimming the bump stops, they are made out of rubber so it shouldn't be too difficult to do. The only other issue that you might run into is the front end alignment. Going with spring drop only in the front causes the wheels to tilt in at the top some. The best way to do this drop without affecting alignment would be to use drop spindles. However, this is a little more difficult with the 2001 as the balljoints are riveted in place insted of bolted or pressed as they are with the earlier models. The drop spindles require replacing the lower ball joint if I recall correctly. I don't know this for fact but I have read that you can replace the lower control arm with one from a 1999 and that takes care of the problem with the riveted ball joints. Don't quote me on that tho. You can find allot more information about lowering on dodgetalk.com/forum, just do some searching.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:52 PM
squishy_1010
Rookie

What brand would everyone suggest? I see a lot of 2nd gen rams use a DJM drop. I was doing some searching and found a kit made by springtech. Has anyone heard anything about springtech by suspension max?

Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 AM
xtremewlr

Haven't heard of that one.

The ones I know of are DJM, Western Chassis, Eibach, and Bell Tech. Bell Tech is usually considered the best for lowering as they have been doing that forever.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 PM
squishy_1010
Rookie

Yea. I guess I will just stick with the ones I have heard of instead of just going with the cheapest one. I pull my four wheeler around either in the bed or on a trailer. If I install some air shocks with the drop kit will this keep me from bottoming out when I haul my four wheeler?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:08 AM
CALVIN305
Professional

ive been meaning to ask this. instead of a flip kit for the rear could someone just do a 4" lowering leaf spring and say 2" lower shackles?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:59 PM
squishy_1010
Rookie

The problem with that is the axle will be right up agains the frame. Thats why when you use a flip kit you also have to C-notch the frame to have room for suspension travel.

Quick Reply: Lowering my dodge???