2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine "clacking"

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 PM
russ007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine "clacking"

I'm going to take it to the place that did my radiator and see what they have to say about this issue. It's funny that it didn't start happening until after that was done. Also, since the radiator work was done there has been this pressure type sound when I accelerate as well

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 PM
greenmachine
All Star

Try this. Take the belt off and see if the sound goes away. Yes I said take the belt off. Run it for a minute, just long enough that you would have normally heared the sound. If it goes away then you have a few choices. Water pump, belt tensioner, mechanical fan(if you have one), or even the alternator.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea if its under any type of warrenty they must fix the problem that they created

Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 PM
greenmachine
All Star

ORIGINAL: russ007

I'm going to take it to the place that did my radiator and see what they have to say about this issue. It's funny that it didn't start happening until after that was done. Also, since the radiator work was done there has been this pressure type sound when I accelerate as well
Here is the problem with that thought. I took my brothers 69 Buick into get the transmission rebuilt and it came back with a rod knocking. The shop guys hot rodded it when they got done. Claimed it had done it the whole time.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 PM
russ007

so you're saying take it off and the drive it for a min? Getting back to the timing thing, If the timing is off would it show a loss of power?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:14 PM
greenmachine
All Star

ORIGINAL: 2500 mopar

ORIGINAL: greenmachine

Changing the radiator does not even require you to touch the engine.Since you dont have a "trained" ear and cant hear it except under load there is not much you can do. Is there anyone that you know who is a gearhead? Could have them take a listen. Sorry this not a whole lot of help.
greenmachine, i totally agree with you about how you shouldnt have to touch the engine but what im saying is that maybe the guys who installed it removed a few things that they shouldnt have and now theres a problem
I understand what you are saying. That was not directed towards you. We were writting a reply at the same time

Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM
greenmachine
All Star

so you're saying take it off and the drive it for a min? Getting back to the timing thing, If the timing is off would it show a loss of power?
Yes, it will not hurt anything as long as it does not get hot. Depends, do you have a lack of power? When does the sound start? as soon as you get into the throttle? if so there should be a loss. If it does not do it until you get up in rpm then you could not see a loss of power until then.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

When you mention there's a pressure type sound, that makes me think there's a vacume hose that's loose.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

I'm bettin' the fan shroud isn't seated properly and the fan is contacting it when the engine torques under heavy load. That's about the only thing that could have changed with radiator replacement. Also, if the tech crawled up on top of the shroud, the top of the shroud may have beenbowed down, and they fit tight enough that they'll stay there until you pull them back up. Have someone powerbrake the truck while you watch the fan.

Also, since the radiator work was done there has been this pressure type sound when I accelerate as well
Probably removed the air tube from the throttle body for some reason and didn't get it properly seated or damaged/lost the gasket.

Quick Reply: Engine "clacking"