2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4WD Front Axle seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:46 PM
bpetresky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD Front Axle seal

Hello

The LHfront axle shaftjust behind the ujoint has a destroyed axle seal. The axle is a dana 44. The new one i purchased has a round metal type seal with a 3/4 inch rubber funnel protruding outon it. I would like to know which way this rubber funnel faces. Intowards the carrier or towards the ujoint.
Thanks in advance
Brian

Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Default RE: 4WD Front Axle seal

Out. It's designed to guide the shaft in, so as not to destroy the seal with the splines.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:11 PM
bpetresky

Thanks. Does the metal part fit into the carrier housing? Like setting a seal on a regular rwd car? flush with the outside of the carrier housing with the rubber piece facing out? I understand it sound repetitive but this seal was trashed and what was left of it was on the flange part of the axle shaft and had to be pried off.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 AM
nhlbill
Veteran

I think your talking about two different things.

There is an outertube seal on the D44 that is visible just past the U-joint and it is designed to keep debris from entering the axle tube. It does not install in the center section and is not an oil seal.

Then there is an oil seal that installs in the center section. It installs by removing the axle shaft and carrier and then presses it into the housing where the tube enters. It should install so that the rubber seal is towards the center section. the seal is driven into the tube end from the empty carrier housing (after removing the carrier). If you get a socket that just fits into the lip of the seal you can use it to drive the seal into place.
_____
________/ \______
________ ____
_______ _I ____
________ ______
\_____/

So, Yea, bad font drawing, but looking at your diff from the front, this is how the oil seal (green) is supposed to be installed.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:32 AM
bpetresky

nhlbill you hit it right on. It is the outer dirt protection seal. Now to be sure it is installed correctly. Maybe i can find this out now that we know what the hell im talking about. HEHE.
Is there any site i can go to that show an exploded view of the front hub assysection of the vehicle. A so called mechanic said theyrepacked my front hubs and replaced the ujoints but when i cehcked my brakes last week i couldnt turn thelh front wheel by hand thats how seized up the front hub was. The rotor was rubbing into the caliper mount and worn through the dust shield.I'm not happy about this and have the parts to repair it and have it dis- assembled but want to make sure of the reassy as i dont know if it was reassembled correctly to begin with.
Brian

Quick Reply: 4WD Front Axle seal