2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Lifting My Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Elbobo6112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Lifting My Truck

So I got my Dodge a few months ago and am looking to spend my winter getting it lifted so it is ready for muddin this spring. I want a good 3 inch suspension lift but I dont wanna spend a million bucks on it. My friends who is a big motor head told me to get bigger blocks for the back and 3/4 coils for the front along with new shocks rather than buying a complete lift kit. However after doing some research I am wondering if his idea is not the right way to do things and I shoudl just buy a kit that includes the various brackets and lower controle arms. Could anyone give me some advice as to the proper way of doing a lift on my truck in the cheapest manor.

2000 Dodge Ram Regular Cab Sport 4x4 5.9L V8
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-11-2007, 04:48 PM
nhlbill
Veteran
Default RE: Help Lifting My Truck

Well don't listen to your friend, he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

Adding a lift block on top of your factory block is a big No-No as well as unsafe. Look for a kit that uses an add-a-leaf or shackle flip instead. Also, you willnot likethe ride of your 1/2 ton truck with 3/4 ton springs in the front. It will ride like a brick wagon.

For around $400.00 you can buy a complete 3" lift kit with shocks from manufacturers like Rancho, Skyjacker or Fabtech. 3" of lift is generally considered the max for a Ram with factory length control arms and trackbar and pitman arm.

3" kits usually contain a 3" coil spacer (some kits use a replacement coil spring), front bump stop extensions, rear add-a-leaf and longer shocks. Some kits come with replacement lower front control arms as well (not longer, just stronger and narrower to avoid tire rubbing).

You can also peice a 3" lift together from places like EBAY stores (ie: Topguncustomz). You can get a 3" coil spacer and add-a-leaf kits, then buy your own choice of shock.

I would as stated above though absolutely not stack blocks, and although you can get some lift from 3/4 ton coils, you will hate it.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Elbobo6112

Thanks alot man I'll do that, now I just gotta get my paycheck.... LoL
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-11-2007, 06:17 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the ProComp 3" lift on mine and I'm very happy with it.8 years and no problems other than one shock that leaked after 7 years and that was due to debris trapped by the shock boot. (toss those thing if you have them)

Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
G0tMudd
Veteran

Well, I dont know what reason's why your getting a 3' inch lift but if i my sugest is a 5'5 fabtech lift kit. If u wanna mudd, and not get stuck and brake **** *depending on how hardcore u mudd* u ened 35's Once every1 ha steped up to 35's and went mudding with them i bet they would never go back *or maybe up to 40's *. Just a idea.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:51 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: G0tMudd

Well, I dont know what reason's why your getting a 3' inch lift but if i my sugest is a 5'5 fabtech lift kit. If u wanna mudd, and not get stuck and brake **** *depending on how hardcore u mudd* u ened 35's Once every1 ha steped up to 35's and went mudding with them i bet they would never go back *or maybe up to 40's *. Just a idea.
Maybe local laws ? in some states your bumper cant be over a certian height...

Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 PM
junior
Rookie

i dont know if its just me but everyone i ask doesn't seem to have a problem with blocks in the back. if they were bad and very unsafe they wouldnt' sell them. i've talked to a lot of people that have ran blocks for a while and had no problem. the only reason im saying this is im thinking about installing blocks and i want to hear some opions from the other end of the argument.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Elbobo6112

Junior bring up a good point what is the disadvantage and advantages of stacking blocks vs add on leafs and just as long as we are on the topic what are the disadvantage and advantages of coil spacesers vs new coil springs?

Then I supose my next question after that is a 3 inch lift a big enough lift to fit 35 inch tires?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-11-2007, 10:00 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need 5" for 35s not to rub..

Old 11-11-2007, 11:33 PM
nhlbill
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Elbobo6112

Junior bring up a good point what is the disadvantage and advantages of stacking blocks vs add on leafs and just as long as we are on the topic what are the disadvantage and advantages of coil spacesers vs new coil springs?

Then I supose my next question after that is a 3 inch lift a big enough lift to fit 35 inch tires?
[align=left][/align]
Block stacking has long been taboo in the off road world. Only the cheapest of kits still sell them that way. Blocks are only held in place by the tightness of the U-bolts. By stacking two of them on top of each other the only thing holding them in place is a single pin molded into the block itself. They can easily be dislodged under load or undertorqued U-boltswhich can cause loss of vehicle control and certain damage to tire to fender contact. If your after a street queen and you never want to take your truck off roadI would still be hesitant to use them for even a short period of time. Do yourself a favor and make sure you get a kit with an add-a-leaf or if your going to go with a 5" kit you can lift your truck with a shackle flip by BDS or AIM.

Coil spring spacers are an inexspensive means of lifting the front end by basically relocating the part of the vehicle that the spring comes in contact with and thus raising the truck that much higher. They are bolted in place so they are completely safe unlike the leaf spring block. The offer the same ride characteristics as stock because you have not changed anything other than the coil spring bucket location. While they lift the vehicle, they do not offer any enhancement to the suspension. There is still a limited amount of distance that the stock coil spring can travel in either direction (extended or retracted). By replacing the spring with a new longer spring instead of a spacer, you are enhancing your vehicles suspension with additional travel in both directions and springs can be obtained in different load ratings (tension) as well to help customize your vehicles suspension.

The bottom line is there really is no substitute for quality and quality always costs more money. It's your truck though and you have to do what you feel comfortable with. in the long run the only one you have to satisfy is yourself. Good luck to you and keep doing what you are doing now which is researching before purchasing.

Quick Reply: Help Lifting My Truck