2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what should i do first?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM
CALVIN305
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i do first?

ok i need some help with a plan to stick to. i know first of all i need to fix my cat. asap. so that is first or should i say second because im due for another oil change. then the cat.

as some of you know i did start working on the rust on the frame but due to work i had to stop half way. i have the rear rails done but that is only 1/4 of the way. now im getting to the hard part. i still need a tune up and other parts. my windows need weather strippingand i need new tires soon(not asap but soon).

gas mileage is down,i have oversized tires which i think either smaller tires will help with the acceleration would be better or would new gears be better option because i do plan most likly to lift it a little and put larger tires.

so... what would you guys recommend first on a TO DO list.

1996 dodge ram 5.2 2wd.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
CALVIN305
Professional
Default RE: what should i do first?

the list i kinda trying to stick by is...

cat.(gutt or new)
tune up(spark plugs,wires,distributor cap & rotor,coil,hoses,belt,thermostat)
finish rust work
tires 225/75/16
exhaust(headers,y pipe,mufflers)

Old 11-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

Seafoam, honest. It works wonders, throw in a can of RESTORE as well with your oil change.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:06 PM
CALVIN305
Professional

ORIGINAL: Bouncer88

Seafoam, honest. It works wonders, throw in a can of RESTORE as well with your oil change.
you know i always wanted to try it but for fear it might mess something up... like the fear of synth. oil causing leaks, but i kinda have gotten over that fear lol.

what does it do? and what does restore do? ive seen it at the auto parts store. i think its suppose to "restore" the compression right?

thanks bouncer

Old 11-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

Well since our spark plugs are easy to get at I took all the plugs out and put a teaspoon in each cylinder (seafoam) and then the rest I poured into the TB very slowly, watched the white smoke out and bang I definitely noticed a difference, it's supposed to clear out carbon and gunk buildup and I definitely believe it did, now restore basically just coats the cylinders to get rid of wear done by the pistons and it does help increase compression but ever so slightly, but at the price why not do it every oil change to make sure your engine is running the best it can.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 PM
CALVIN305
Professional

just to make sure.. you remove spark plugs, put teaspoon seafoam in each.. now do you put the spark plug back on? then run it and add sea foam in the TB?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

Yes exactly, sorry for the confusion.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can also buy a can of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner from the dealership for about the same price as seafoam and it's a little less messy to do. Just remove the air hat and spray it into the TB blades alternating about 2 sec spray in each side of the TB (if you have the divider in the intake manifold, otherwise it doesn't matter that much). When the can is done, shut off the engine and let it sit a few hours. Then fire it up and rev it a little (I do this at night so the neighbors don't hate me, the smoke is pretty intense.) After the smoke stops fuming out take it for a drive and romp on it a few times to blow out any loose gunk. (please don't try any spy hunter type moves by driving without blowing the smoke out first.)

Seafoam works just as well, but you gotta pour it slowly without bogging the engine out, and I don't have the patience for that.

And syn oil doesn't cause leaks, that's a myth,unless the sludge it pulls out was plugging a leak.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 PM
CALVIN305
Professional

got it!