2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help identifying something under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
drjohnson36
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying something under the hood

I just bought a 1998 Ram, and theres a couple things that need fixing. One thing is a pipe that appears to have a leak. It is connected to the radiator, runs along the side of the engine bay and goes into the cab. Please let me know if you know what this pipe is. It makes an audible leaking noise when the air conditioner is run. If one were to run the air conditioner and then turn off the engine, it would make the leaking noise for about 15 seconds and then stop. The pipe is highlighted in red in this picture:

I need to know if this is a critical part in anything, be it the air conditioning or the cooling system in general. Also I need to know if such a leaking noise is normal or something a mechanic should look at. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need help identifying something under the hood

AC line low side(pressure) are you sure its leaking ?mine makes a hissing sound after i shut it off /motor , its the system equlizing the pressure..

Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mine hisses too after you shut it off. its normal. its also normal for the a/c lines to frost over, and also drip condensation under the passenger side. if your A/C blows cool its ok.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 nothing wrong here, next question!

Quick Reply: Need help identifying something under the hood