2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How fragile are the axles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
dillonjm
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How fragile are the axles?

ORIGINAL: nhlbill

While the strength difference between the 9.25 and the FF D60 has long been debated, it's not the strength that makes the swap make sense to me, it's the availability of aftermarket support and accessories that makes it a no brainer IMHO.

Lowest gears you can get for a 9.25 are 4.88, there are no selectable lockers available at all for the 9.25, there isn't a real abundance of differential covers made for off roading for the 9.25.....if any, there are numerous disc brake kits available for the D60, and used parts are readily available from somebody that is always in search of something different for their D60, etc...etc....etc......

While the 30 spline D60 would be plenty strong for most guys running 37-39" tires with lockers, if your looking for a large strength increase and still want the availability to have all the aftermarket goodies, I would recommend the D70 (even though I have a D60). The D70 comes with a tone ring and wheel speed/abs sensor that is needed for the Dodge and the swap into a 1/2 ton Dodge is as easy as they come. Whereas there are a few hurdles with the 14 bolt. Either axle is plenty strong, but the D70 would be a easier swap, but maybe not as readily available as the 14FF.

If you have a D60 and you want to keep it, you can alter it to accept D70 axle shafts, but I would have to ask why do that instead of just swaping the D70 in to begin with?

If you keep your front D44 open and resist the pressure to put a locker in it, you can run 37" tires with the 1/2 ton stuff and still off road with it. if you want a front locker, don't waste your time or money in putting one in a D44. If you have reached the point where you want bigger than 37" tires or a locker in the front axle, it's time to do a 3/4 ton axle swap. While the rear D60 is not the best option available in 8-lug 3/4 ton axles, it is more than adaquate for most guys running tires under 40" IMHO.
This is pretty much dead on. The 9.25 is strong, but the aftermarket for it sucks..hard. The 44 is ok up to about 35's depending on how hard you wheel it. Upgrades definitely needed beyond that for anything more than a mall crawler.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I'd say 37s locked on a 44 wheeling it hard, thats just my opinion though. But then again I did see something really funny last month. The 4x4 club I'm in does a mud bog each year and this kid fan his YJ on 37 locked/locked through. He broke a shaft in the pit then got pulled out by the loader. He somehow hit his front line lock lever once he was out, so when he was unhooked from the loader he went to move and got nothing, tried again and heard another crack

So he fried both sides more or less at once. The next weekend we were out wheeling and he broke his longside inner again! Needless to say he has Chromo's and Longfields now.

44s suck, thats why I have a 60

Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm really bent on what to do here. I want to run 36 inch TSLs.
Seems like I'm right on a line where the 1/2 ton axels would be iffy and th 1 tons are kind of over kill.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Tani1500
Champion

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

I'm really bent on what to do here. I want to run 36 inch TSLs.
Seems like I'm right on a line where the 1/2 ton axels would be iffy and th 1 tons are kind of over kill.
u should be fine on half tons. the only thing thats gunna go is the front and figure it this way. if u wheel it desently hard. pick up a spair set of shafts and maybe a spair hub and keep them in the truck. if it breaks it breaks, ur only out what u paid of the shafts, where as an axle swap will cost u close to 1k most of the time

Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Tani. Sounds good.Then ifI can regear these half tons to 4.88s within a decent price range (hard cause I don't know how to do it) I'm gonna do that and keep them for awhile tillI get a good Dana 70 rear 60 front combo. Put 5.13s in them and lockers front and rear. I want to get the front axel off another 96, but would the axel from an 03 and up still work in my rear? I'd like to get it with disc brakes already on it if it's possble.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

You'l be fine, 36s or 37s are max fOR A locked rig that really wheels hard. If your going to be doing some trail cruising and thats it you'll never break.

Quick Reply: How fragile are the axles?