2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just replaced heater core but......

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 AM
youthguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replaced heater core but......

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram extended cab 4x4. My heater began to leak. I started to smell that sweet syrup smell. I had it replaced two weeks by a reputable mechanic but it is not fixed. The mechanic showed me the heater core and it was obviously leaking. The smell has not gone away. It is not as bad but it is still there when I turn my heater on. What are the chances the new heater core is bad. Is there ANYTHING else it could be?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Just replaced heater core but......

He didn't clean out the HVAC box. Mine was leaking as well and I had my son, who has smaller arms and hands, wipe out the box as wellas he could. I have used the heat a few times since replacement and the smell is there, although not as strong as before. Hopefully, the drain from the box is not clogged, so that when the evaporator is sweating water in the summer when the A/C is on, it will "wash out". Hope this makes sense.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
youthguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just replaced heater core but......

That is what I was hoping to hear. I had thought that but I am too cynical to think that way. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Just replaced heater core but......