2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water pump is leaking at the weep hole

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 AM
98RamSport360
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump is leaking at the weep hole

I was going down the road the other day and my belt started to shriek so I popped the hood just to find coolant flying all over the place. It looked like I was running a small water park in my engine compartment. So now I get to do all the work I was going to do after Christmas. I am going to do a timing chain, water pump, plentum gasket, 180 T-Stat, Tune up and oil change. If I am forgetting something please let me know? I also have not figured if I was to advance my timing 4degrees or not, what would be the benefit for me to do so on my 98 1500 4x4 5.9?

ThanksRay

Old 11-21-2007, 08:34 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: Water pump is leaking at the weep hole

Dodge has developed a timing chain tensioner for our Magnum Engines that you may want to consider installing when you do your timing chain. It does double duty of keeping the timing chain at the correct tension and replaces the front camshaft plate between the camshaft timing gear and the block.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:53 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

Dodge has developed a timing chain tensioner for our Magnum Engines that you may want to consider installing when you do your timing chain. It does double duty of keeping the timing chain at the correct tension and replaces the front camshaft plate between the camshaft timing gear and the block.
How much does it improve chain longevity/accuracy. (I hope im making sense this early in the morning)

Old 11-21-2007, 09:36 AM
98RamSport360

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962

Where did you see this I can't seem to find anything on the internet. Is it offered as an aftermarket part?

Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
goldwing92

The tensioner is listed in the Mopar Performance catalog

Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER

Replaces the thrust plate,designed for all A engines and 3.9L,5.2L and 5.9L magnum engines.

Timing chain tensioner

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html

Old 11-22-2007, 12:24 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

take a look at your oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, front seal, radiator hoses (upper and lower), heater hoses, water pump bypass hose, belt, belt tensioner, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, oil pressure sending unit, pcv valve, vac hoses (pcv, brake booster), rubber valve cover grommets (pcv and vent), temperature sending unit (its in a hidden little spot), thermostat, flush heater core and block (drain plugs behind engine mounts on each side), new anti-freeze. while your at it remove and clean out the coolant overflow tank. i don't have any experience on the 4* advance but Indy did it recently. Ask him about how it would be for daily driver because he runs his hard at the track.

Quick Reply: Water pump is leaking at the weep hole