2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hey guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:30 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: hey guys

What kind or RPM is you engine running at when you pass?
I'm thinking it's more of an engine problem than a trans issue.
Does it start to buck or just seems tapped out for power?
If your passing at 120 I sure hope your Canadian.

P.S. Go Bombers!

Old 11-22-2007, 01:44 AM
98ram5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL oh yeah i`m Canadian! Ryan Dinwiddie is going to pull through for us aswell!
I'm blanking right now for RPM's so ill have to test it tomorrow, and see what she doe's
for a good response to give you guys. Thanks for the fast help so far!!

Colin

Old 11-22-2007, 02:15 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha ha i was gonna ask if you were up here in the north with me (KM/H) lol when your doing this is the truck kicking down (you should feel it shift down and your rpm go up) im almost wondering if its something fuel related, bad injector or week pump maby..just a guess really throw, it really should do it any time you mat it at any speed tho

and for you south of the border who are wondering 100km/h=62 MPH (typical speed limit on a highway)
110km/h=68 MPH (typical speed limit on freeway)
120km/h=75MPH (minimum typical speed people drive around here)

Old 11-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Uh, might be mph/kph limiter, rev limiter, and you're just hearing the fuel cut to the injectors. It is also possible you're running out of fuel pump, or the injectors need a good cleaning/ rebuilding????

Old 11-22-2007, 07:42 PM
98ram5.9

alright, so say im sitting at a still point and i floor it, it shifts fine all the way up, but say im driving down the highway, and i put it to the floor to pass someone, it like bucks in passing gear so i can either let off the gas until it shifts up to drive or let off completely then stomp on it again and its good. its just when i have it to the floor boards and it goes into passing gear it bucks like this.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:12 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

Uh, might be mph/kph limiter, rev limiter, and you're just hearing the fuel cut to the injectors. It is also possible you're running out of fuel pump, or the injectors need a good cleaning/ rebuilding????
I shouldn't be the mph/mph limiter. He going to slow for it to be that.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:12 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

when you stomp on it and it drops down a gear it is going to gerk a bit, shouldent keep doing it after thow, maby iuts something in the Torque converter slipping since its unlocking at the same time

Old 11-22-2007, 10:05 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunno if it's the same for the Rams, but 2WD Dakotas with the 5.9L V8 are speed limited to 117mph, and when you hit up against it that's the sort of symptoms you get - engine cuts out, makes the vehicle buck a bit, feels really weird and creepy the first time you hit it. If this is happening consistantly at only ~117mph then that may be your "problem" - gonna have to get a good flash to increase that limiter.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:37 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Ramsrush

Sounds like a rev limiter.
ORIGINAL: rabbler

What kind or RPM is you engine running at when you pass?
I'm thinking it's more of an engine problem than a trans issue.
Does it start to buck or just seems tapped out for power?
If your passing at 120 I sure hope your Canadian.

P.S. Go Bombers!
ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

ORIGINAL: SinCity R/T

Dunno if it's the same for the Rams, but 2WD Dakotas with the 5.9L V8 are speed limited to 117mph, and when you hit up against it that's the sort of symptoms you get - engine cuts out, makes the vehicle buck a bit, feels really weird and creepy the first time you hit it. If this is happening consistantly at only ~117mph then that may be your "problem" - gonna have to get a good flash to increase that limiter.

Ok everyone he is from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

today's lesson kids, the Metric system. see here in Canada we don't use the imperial system as out standard unitof measure we use the Metric system leiter's instead of gallons, centimeters instead of inches celcius instead of fahrenheit, and kilometers instead of miles now if you know where he is from you can safely assume he is talking metric not imperial

so
100km/h=62 MPH (typical speed limit on a highway)
110km/h=68 MPH (typical speed limit on freeway)
120km/h=75MPH (minimum typical speed people drive around here)

don't ask me why we half to be different its stupid i agree just means i half to buy twice as many tools as i need (standard and imperial sets) but that's just they way it is

that concludes today's lesson

so with that said i think we can all safley say it wont be a rev/speed limiter

Old 11-23-2007, 07:26 PM
98ram5.9

so if people think the possibility of the torque converter slipping when its doing this, wouldnt the converter be slipping all the time or..?
Also, could it be not enough spark or something. Say for example when it gets so high the"weak" spark or w/e is generating a possible "weak" spark could it be that and it can't burn the fuel off fast enough and what not?

Quick Reply: hey guys