2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm lost on this death flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:38 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm lost on this death flash

I've been reading about the 'Death Flash' and I understand what it is, but I don't understand how to decode the P/N to find out if I have it. I do have an overlayed update sticker with the P/N : P56040273AF and I'm not sure if its the death flash or just a misc. update for some other problem.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: I'm lost on this death flash

here's the tsb's that did the evil deed. (look for these numbers on your sticker)
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/group_18.htm
first.. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/18-022-00.htm
second. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/18-006-01.htm

based on the release dates of dec 2000 and mar 2001, and the presence of the sticker, you almost certainly have it. you can probably give your VIN number to the dealer and they can tell you whether you have these tsb's applied.

my truck was built/bought in mar 01, and the sticker is computer printed, so it looks like it was applied either in the assembly or component factory.

solutions/mods are the crank position sensor mod, or hypertech/superchip. avoid jet chip.
i'm not sure about the 4* timing chain crank gear. i'm guessing it does the same thing.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I finally figured out how to look up my P/N and it registered as an 'Old Part Number'. That doesn't make sense to me because the number is from a newer sticker thats covering an older one. Anyway, the possible TSB performed was 18-006-02 Rev C. Two problems. 1) I have the old PCM part number 2)I can not find18-006-02C. So I'm kinda stuck because I don't know if I do in fact have a Flash installed and if I do I have no idea what that TSB code means.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:35 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Either way you'd be better off w/a B&G flashor a SCT flasher from said or KRC.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:30 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, it would seem that a truck that unfortunately got the 'Death Flash' TSB for stopping pinging on 87 octane would benefit greatly from a SCT tune. It might be worth carefully measuring MPG before and after to see if there is a fuel economy benefit for removing the 'death flash' because several years ago many who got it complained of both lost throttle response and poorer MPG immediately afterwards.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:55 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mopowar

Either way you'd be better off w/a B&G flashor a SCT flasher from said or KRC.
[sm=icon_rock.gif]True that. I'd love to have a SCT. Its in the budget, just havn't saved enough money yet.

Thanks for all the feedback, got a little lost on this one.

Quick Reply: I'm lost on this death flash