2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New CEL displayed, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:21 AM
nmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CEL displayed, help needed

So the check engine light came on last week at the end of a 1 hour drive.
truck idles really rough in any gear, but in park and neutral it seems to idle good.
truck drives horrible. when you get on the gas you can hear it backfiring in the engine and a little out the exhaust. truck can hold a steady speed of 90km/h just fine, until i have to get on the gas for a hill etc. then it just boggs down and backfires in the engine and out the back. i dont smell any unspent fuel at all. with the truck running in the dark i see no arching etc.

first codes pulled referred to vacuum. checked all the lines all looked good and felt soft. no cracks.

now its throwing different codes.

1-2-4-3-4-3-5-5

i understand that to read code 43:[*]43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time
OR[*]43 Cylinder misfire
OR[*]43 Problem in power module to logic module interface

i puchased a new ignition coil and put it in, no change, cheap part thoguh.
spoke to mechanic and father and some dude at the parts store, everyone seemed to be leaning towards a MAP Sensor. now i have that, will get it installed tonite.

What else should i be looking at? it abotu time for a new cap and rotor anyway so ill get that. i doubt its the plugs but how can i check to make sure theyre good?
anything else at all? im getting ym hard tonneau installed tomorrow so i kinda gotta get it running better by tomorrow

Old 11-23-2007, 01:20 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New CEL displayed, help needed

do the rotor and cap and let us know , and if you havent change the plugs in awhile like 30 thousand miles ago mite want to change them.. plus find a dummie i ment a friend and ask him to run his hands over the spark plug wires...lol DONT !!!

Old 11-23-2007, 01:42 PM
nmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CEL displayed, help needed

getting a new cap and rotor after work tonite. the plugs cap rotor and wires when i got the truck. so 4.5 years now. i thinkl the plugs have 110000km on them. theyre 100000mile plugs. if i change them out, which isnt a problem, theyre cheapo enough, what should i replace them with?

Quick Reply: New CEL displayed, help needed