2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump and fill tube????

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:09 AM
t_bell40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump and fill tube????

I recently was told by my mechanic that indeed it was a fuel pump my dodge '98 1500 needed. I went and baught the pump myself and saved 60 bucks. I was then told that it needs a fill tube as the old one is rusted badly. I said is it leaking? He said no but it could later. The fill tube is from the gas cover opening to the tank. It cost 80 dollars. It can only be baught from the stealer ship. Anyone know if it sounds like he is trying to get back the 60 i saved and then some???????????

Old 11-24-2007, 10:14 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Fuel pump and fill tube????

Ask to see the part yourself and make a decision from there. It's your truck after all.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

i have the same problem, mine leaks when i fill it up. if you move the gas nozzel around it wont leak as bad... i dont wanna pay 80 bucks for that little part.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:24 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Time for duct tape

Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a trick that "might" work:

Run a bead of silicone caulkinto a clear soda bottle and let it set up overnight. The next day, pour some gas in the bottle andlet it sit another day to see if the caulk dissolves.

Silicone should be inert,and not dissolve in the gas, but the medium which holds the caulk might dissolve, I'm not 100% sure. I know thechemicals that evaporate are gas soluble, but aftercaulk dries,if it doesn't dissolve you could use that to patch it up.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:31 PM
t_bell40

Thanks all!! I am going to take my mechanics word for it right now. I have already told them to save the part. If it looks good when i get there i will tell them i am disappointed and look elsewhere next time. If is does look bad then i guess i have peace of mind knowing that is one more thing that shouldn't fail. Happy Holiday!!!

Old 11-25-2007, 03:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

motorbreath, if you can find where yours is leaking, JB Weld is good for patching steel gas tanks. just be careful with how it sags when wet, so guard against a lot of it running down inside the hole you are trying to patch. the jb 'quik' sets up a lot faster with less sag, and works better in some applications.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump and fill tube????