2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9L and Platnium plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:44 AM
TEN THIRTY TWO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9L and Platnium plugs

I replaced my original plugs with a set of auto lite platniums about a month ago. I thought new plugs would help a little in the MPG department. Now it seems like my MPG have dropped a mile or two. I don't know if this is from the colder temp or the plugs.

Has anyone experienced similar results?

Im thinking of throwing a set of copper in just to see if there is a difference

Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 AM
TEN THIRTY TWO
Default RE: 5.9L and Platnium plugs

I forgot to say i also did an oil change and put in Mobile 1 5w30. It calls for 10w30 or 5w30 in cold weather.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally speaking, the Magnum V8's don't like the high-temp platinum plugs. The intake manifold design plus PCM timing curves tend to run on the hot side with OEM plugs, going even hotter with a fancy plug is just going to make things worse by inducing detonation. Through word of mouth, a lot of people have switched to the Autolite 3923 copper plug over the years - it's a little shorter than stock and one heat range colder, tends to work well with our engines.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

ORIGINAL: SinCity R/T

Generally speaking, the Magnum V8's don't like the high-temp platinum plugs. The intake manifold design plus PCM timing curves tend to run on the hot side with OEM plugs, going even hotter with a fancy plug is just going to make things worse by inducing detonation. Through word of mouth, a lot of people have switched to the Autolite 3923 copper plug over the years - it's a little shorter than stock and one heat range colder, tends to work well with our engines.
When I had my truck on the road for the two weeks it was on the road I put in the autolites and I noticed a difference, they aren't that expensive either.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 PM
TEN THIRTY TWO

Thanks for the info. I think i might put some copper plugs in.
My truck seems to run ok with the plats but i've lost a mpg or so. Who knows it might be the colder weather.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in Bosch Platinum and they run great. That was 67,000 miles ago. Did you keep the metal sleeves around the plugs? They were a painand I was wondering if they were necessary?

Old 12-07-2007, 09:14 PM
TEN THIRTY TWO

I wasn't thinking and took the first two out. after that i just left the others in and worked around them.

By the way how is your gas mileage?

I average about 11 thats 70% city and 30% highway. Im very easy on the pedal. I was hoping at geting at least 13-14.

guy I know with chevy's are geting 14-16 with about the same portion of city/highway.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

If you do go coppers, go with the autolite 3923's like R/T said, not the factory recommended though.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:36 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: TEN THIRTY TWO

Thanks for the info. I think i might put some copper plugs in.
My truck seems to run ok with the plats but i've lost a mpg or so. Who knows it might be the colder weather.
Might be the winter mix of Gasoline, that'll drop MPG.You north of the Mason-Dixon?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 PM
CoastieJack
Rookie

ORIGINAL: SinCity R/T

I can attest to the 3923's- I replaced perfectly good stock plugs with these and the truck idles and accelerates smoother, especially at highway speeds. At $1.29 a plug, not a bad deal either.

For the heat shields (the little tubes) I found it easiest to stick the plug in the magnetic socket and with an extension on, just turn it lightly as if you've got the plug in your hand. Didn't have a problem cross-theading one of them. Took all of 15 minutes too, first time changing plugs on this truck.

Quick Reply: 5.9L and Platnium plugs