2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suspension Lift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:44 AM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Lift Questions

For what it's worth... I did search first and didn't find a whole lot of the type of info I was looking for.

I'm looking at getting a 5" suspension lift for a 2001 Ram 1500. I've pretty much narrowed it down to:
[ul][*]Skyjacker - various numbers[*]Superlift - K332, K478[/ul]
I'm kind of leaning towards the Superlift kit because they come with limit straps and don't marry you to Skyjacker shocks to maintain warranty. The K332 has an AAL with 3" blocks. Looking at the install instructions, it looks like they want you to stack that on top of the factory block (which doesn't sit right with me). The K478 kit is 300 bucks more, but comes with replacement leafs. Skyjacker has different kits with the same options... AAL + blocks or new springs.

It seems most people around here run the Skyjacker... but I have not seen many people talk about the stacking of blocks with those kits. Are you folks using kits with new leafs? Everytihng that I have ever read about stacking blocks usually says it's a no-no. Why would it be acceptable in this case? Am I just being a little paranoid?

Lastly, with the 5" lift kits... do you need to get a new front drive line made? The 4x4 shop around me seems to think I need to... they think there will be clearance problems on the stock front driveline.I think they might be a little eager to try and get more money out of me.Besides, I don't really plan on wheeling this thing hard - that's what the rock crawler is for.

In case you are wondering... I'm planning on installing this myself, then getting it aligned afterwards. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cartman

Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Default RE: Suspension Lift Questions

i don't have either but like superlift... id spend the extra and get new leafs, yes that is right about them wanting you to stack the blocks if the lift is for looks and not for hard offroading that wont be a problem as there is a pin that sticks up from one block to the other to lock it in place but for hard offroading get the new leafs front drive line should be on the way it is, installing it your self isn't that hard just be sure to get your alignment right after its done, you may even half to do it your self to get it to the shop (depending on how far it is)

Old 12-03-2007, 04:54 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

Yeah... I'll probably end up spending the extra money for the new leafs. I won't look forward to dropping the gas tank... but it is a necissary evil.

Anyone else have opinions either way? I would have figured I would have gotten afew responses on the thread... any thoughts, info, second info, etc would be appreciated. [8D]

Thanks,
Cartman

Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

why do you need to drop the tank?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

I may be mixing instructions between vendors, but I think in the skyjacker kit, it said you had to loosen the gas tank to get access to the nut/bolt to remove the spring pack. I figured it was probably the same for the superlift kit. Maybe that isn't the case with superlift. I've had a helluva time trying to find the install instructions for those kits. The superlift website only has some install instructions for the add a leaf packs...

Cartman

Old 12-04-2007, 02:25 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

if your lucky (short most likely with a short box), you should be able to sneek a wrench in from the front of the tank and have a buddy loosen it from the outside

Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

I never thought I would be so happy to be short. Maybe this will be easier than I thought.

Thanks,
Cartman

Old 12-04-2007, 02:30 PM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck has a Superlift suspension lift on it and they used the blocks under the stock leaf springs. If I had gotten it installed, I would have spent the extra for leaf springs. The blocks work ok for street driving, but I don't know that I would trust them under any stressful conditions. I had to tighten all 4 long u-bolts on these added blocks when I first got the truck. It wandered and bounced all over the place. I am hoping this won't be a re-occuring condition. I think there may be too much ability to flex the stacked components when using blocks. It just seems to be kinda flimsy to me. My vote would be to spend the extra money and stay away from the blocks, but of coarse it is a lot easier to spend someone else's money.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:42 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

Yeah... it's easier to spend someone elsemoney! But, I'm always willing to spend money to do it right the first time, than do it several times and end up costing more in the long run.

Thanks for the info... I'm pretty much decided on getting replacement springs.

Thanks,
Cartman

Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 PM
murfman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: EricCartman

Yeah... it's easier to spend someone elsemoney! But, I'm always willing to spend money to do it right the first time, than do it several times and end up costing more in the long run.

Thanks for the info... I'm pretty much decided on getting replacement springs.

Thanks,
Cartman
Not sure what you are looking for, Looks or Performance, If its performance you are after, I'd reccomend 2-4" lift, and 33 or 35" tires. You may want to check out CARLISUSPENSION.COM. It does not seem right, a Cummins MegaCab jumping with 7 feet of air under the tires, with a botl on suspension kit!!! Not sure if he does anything for the 1500, but his stuff is among the best for the 2500s. (BTW on 2500 and 3500 trucks, the 2nd gen and 3rd gen use the same lift components.) The 2nd gen 1500 may also use the same, I'm not sure. Another 2 places to look into are KORE, and Lorenz.

Quick Reply: Suspension Lift Questions