2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance Camshafts..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:01 PM
mikerados21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance Camshafts..

Hey Indy im putting a cam in my motor comeone tald me it would be safe to do:
New Timing Chain
New Springs
Upgrade pushrods
along with putting a cam in...

Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: mikerados21

Hey Indy im putting a cam in my motor comeone tald me it would be safe to do:
New Timing Chain
New Springs
Upgrade pushrods
along with putting a cam in...
I wouldnt say it is safe so much as necessisary. Things that MUST be replaced when you switch cams: Lifters and pushrods. No doubt, they must be replaced. Depending on the cam you get, it may require you to get diffrent springs too, its recomended imo, because the stock springs cant handle much more than .490 lift before bind, so any cam that you get thats over 490 is going to cause a failure eventually in your valvetrain. Its also a good idea to get a spring that has 2/32s" more spring left in it over your max lift. (dont be confused by me switching from decimals to fractions, .500 lift is 16/32s of an inch)

Old 12-07-2007, 12:06 AM
mikerados21
Veteran

So is switching to 1.7 roller rockers pointless with stock heads? Because im seriously dreading putting a cam in even tho it might be a piece of cake cause i have a fresh motor out of the truck. Will i see gains if i switch to HS 1.7 RR's On a stock head setup or should i switch to R/T Heads + Roller Rockers. At that would anything necassary need to be put on to ensure life?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:37 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: mikerados21

So is switching to 1.7 roller rockers pointless with stock heads? Because im seriously dreading putting a cam in even tho it might be a piece of cake cause i have a fresh motor out of the truck. Will i see gains if i switch to HS 1.7 RR's On a stock head setup or should i switch to R/T Heads + Roller Rockers. At that would anything necassary need to be put on to ensure life?
No, its not that switching to 1.7s would be pointless on stock heads. Its a GREAT idea, IF your not planning on switching cams. If you ARE planning on switching cams, you can still go with 1.7s, but its something you need to factor into your cam selection. Either way you go, it will be a boost from factory. The full rollers in either 1.6 or 1.7 will give you more power, just because of less paracitic loss.The 1.7 will help you further, by increasing the lift of the factory cam. I dont recall 100%, but from what I remember the factory cam with 1.6 rockers had a .45x lift, by putting 1.7s on the stock cam it would bring it to about 470 480 lift, which is right about where the heads stop flowing any better.

Quick Reply: Performance Camshafts..