2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stripped lug nut

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
rocksgreen97
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped lug nut

ok so i was replacing my brake pads/shoes and was putting the wheels back on, I was in a hurry to get out of the shop before they closed and ended up stripping a lug nut on my passenger side rear, but i was using an air gun so i didnt notice until it was too late, so my question is can thesingle post be re-threaded and i just buy a new lug nut, or does the whole rear rotor assemblyhave to be replaced? if it can be re-threaded is this something i can do by just picking up a re-threader type tool at my local auto zone or will it need a shop to machine it?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:38 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: stripped lug nut

are you talking about a lug or a stud?? either one is replaceable and fairly cheap...

Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 AM
rocksgreen97
Rookie

well I will need to replace both but the stud is what i was wondering about being re-threaded, didnt know you could replace just one stud, thanks

Old 12-06-2007, 10:20 AM
rocksgreen97
Rookie

i just looked into it (probably shoulda googled it in the first place lol) but wheel studs are only about $2, but the problem that im seeing is in order to replace the stud you have to take the entire assembly off the truck, im talkin the entire shaft that slides into the rear differential (going based off what i read on sites) or is there a simpler way for this?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

hmm.. i didnt ever have to do a rear one... i remember with the front one on my old 2nd gen i was able to repace it without taking nothing apart... just spin the wheels til you have it in a spot where you can hammer out the old stud... slide in the new one... stack some washers... get a lug not on ther... use an impact wrench to tighten it and it will pull the lugnut into place...

Old 12-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

hmm.. i didnt ever have to do a rear one... i remember with the front one on my old 2nd gen i was able to repace it without taking nothing apart... just spin the wheels til you have it in a spot where you can hammer out the old stud... slide in the new one... stack some washers... get a lug not on ther... use an impact wrench to tighten it and it will pull the lugnut into place...
You don't even need to do that. Insert the stud, mount the wheel, and tighten down the lugnut and the stud will suck right into place.

To the OP: Don't bother with the hassle of rethreading. Just plunk down some coin and do it right.

Quick Reply: stripped lug nut