2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing Rear Sliding Window

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:56 PM
RickMac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Rear Sliding Window

Hi Guys

I have a 2000 Laramie Quad Cab 2500 and the trim piece that holds the latch for the rear window is missing. I bought a new sliding glass complete with that trim but no one at the dealership has ever fitted one, so they don't know how to remove the old one and replace it with the new.

Anyone here ever done one?

Thanks

Rick

Old 12-07-2007, 05:19 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Replacing Rear Sliding Window

Are you saying you have a whole rear window to R&R. Or just the glass panel with the latch?
If the latter, does your truck have the interior trim with the storage tray? If so, that needs to come out 1st. Then, you need to pry/lift the lower track/channel up at one end and roll it toward the interior of the truck. Once you have enough of it exposed to get your hands around it, PULL! In a direction away from the center of the window and it should slide out. Then remove the glass from the upper track. You will need some silicone sealant to replace the lower track when you put it back.
That's the Reader's Digest version. And it is easier to remove than replace but not impossible.
BTW, the dealer knows how to do it, they just don't want to tell you if it doesn't make them any money. OR they may not want to warrant the installation because of leakage problems down the road.
WC

Old 12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
RickMac

Hi Wayne!

Thanks for the response.

I have just the sliding glass panel with the latchto replace, not the whole window.

There is no storage tray.

Reading that the installation is harder thanremoval is bad news - my only other option is to remove the trim piece from the new glass and glue that on to the edge of the old glass where the old trim piece and latch is missing.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:31 PM
wildwolf59
Professional

SO DO YOU JUST NEED THE LATCH or the whole window...my latch is broke and i need to know where i can get one of them latches cause my window keeps sliding open...lol...so if any one knows where i can get one of them latches let me know please!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 PM
RickMac

I needed the latch and the window edge trim that mates the latch windowwith the other sliding window.

I bought the plastic latch at the dealer's this morning, cost was an unbelievable $23!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:23 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, they are rediculous. This has been discussed before and many have just gotten creative and designed their own or bought "hardware store" latches to install.
WC

Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
RickMac

Well, I took the easy routeand removed the tirm piece from my new glass(glass cost $128)by the only viable method - smashed glass deliberately and then pried broken bits out of trim edge. Now I have the trim that I canaffix to sliding window edge using silicone sealant as manufacturer did and, hey presto, I can close the sliding windows and keep the rain out.

Still, it really pained me to break a $128 piece of glass...

Old 12-07-2007, 09:12 PM
SilverRam_01
Captain

Damn... too bad you ain't got my truck... my slider tracks messed up, and every now and again, the window comes out and hits me in the head! Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear Sliding Window