2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motor Help Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:15 PM
blackdodge69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Help Fast!

Hey guys! I'm new here and I see i should have joined a long time ago.

I own a 1998 Dodge 1500 with the 5.2 litre 318 in it.
I just finished doing a valve job to it and replaced a plug wire that was melted causing a cylinder to missfire.

Heres my problem. After putting it all back together I fired it up, let it idle for about 30 seconds and then shut it off to check oil andantifreeze. All was good so i started it up, pulled it out of the garage and let it idle for about fifteen min.

What i didnt know was that you have to let if idle for about an hour and thenlet ot cool and do so again a couple times. I started to drive it after 15 min.Itran good for about the first mile, then it started to get a wierd tick noise when itried to accelerate. It seemed to geta little worseas i drove it back to my house just easily (20mph). I checked everything externally on the motor and all seems perfect.
As of now when it's in nuetral, it idles somewhat odd but not real rough or anything,
Has a wierd tick every so often when idleing,
Doesent sound bad at all if i rev it up in nuetral, only a bad bad noise when in gear trying to accelerate.

Does Anybody know what went wrong by not letting it idle long enough?
Id like to figure out the problem before i go and spend another 8 hours ripping the heads off again [:@]

Old 12-14-2007, 11:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Default RE: Motor Help Fast!

Did you have the dist out when you did the heads? And did you also set the timing? The sound you maybe hearing is the engine pinging. You can retard the timing 2 degs or take the truck to your local dealer and have the PCM flash update. To ck timing you will need a scanner.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 PM
blackdodge69

No that was the only thing i did not do, I questioned it with my father and he said that you shouldn't need to . Being only seventeen and this is my first head job on a vehicle it makes me feel alot better thinking it's only maybe the timing.. Anything else that it could be if that is'nt the problem?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 PM
blackdodge69

And no i didn't touch the distributor, i did however replace the cap and all the wires and plugs about 5 thousand km's ago..

Quick Reply: Motor Help Fast!