2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat bolt broke off

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:14 PM
lucas3397
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thermostat bolt broke off

I have no idea, I went and borrowed the bits that looked like the right size. For all I know they could be for only wood.

I guess I will just run to the store and ask for the best bit for the job. The drill I have sucks too. If the drill isnt fast enough would that make it pointless to even try?

Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM
arcsum68
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thermostat bolt broke off

Bits should feel sharp, if they dont they arent, and yes I would recommend getting one specifically for the job if you arent sure ofthequality.
The drill should be fast, but I suppose it could work if it wasnt, but it would certainly make it harder.
Typically you want to remove a little bit of material at a time, but very quickly, so you arent putting stress on the bit. Sounds strange, I know, but what I mean is you shouldnt be forcing the bit in there with excessive pressure, it should be capable of doing its job of cutting the metal.
A slow drill or dull bit are going to make that difficult.

Quick Reply: Thermostat bolt broke off