2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

blown a fuse...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: blown a fuse...need advice

theres a short somewhere.. when i modified my underhood light.. i wired in two huge fog lights and removed the stock dinky thing.. but.. not thinking.. i had the hood up when i cut the orginal light out.. conecting the + and - the bulb was blown so i didnt even stop to think that the wires were hot.. i ran new dedicated lines to the hood and that IOD fuze had blown.. got the job all done and i was all happy.. got in the truck.. no radio. no light. no cig lighter power.. a bunch of that stuff runs off IOD.. and to be honest i really think that badboy is tied into the CTM .. b/c right after that happend.. my CTM doest want to work correctly and my wiper delay is only FAST and FASTER.. no intermittent..

anyway.. moral of the story is.. there is probablly a hot wire touching something it shouldnt be

Old 12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Mike454
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thats what i think, i threw a 15amp instead of a 10 and it blew in about 5 seconds. what would y'all rec. i hard wire it too? right now i just used self-splicing connectors and connected itto the wires that run to the power outlet (just a hot and neg). so i could still use that, and my cig lighter. all that crap still works, but my IOD is still blown, so i'm going to rip the dash off and see if i crushed a wire somewhere....thanks for all the help guys
-Mike

Old 12-19-2007, 07:02 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i would hard wire a CB... cig lighter wiring isnt really disigned to run anything tapped off of it.. even though its an often practiced wiring method. i steered away from cig-tappin years ago..

Old 12-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Mike454
Professional

ok, well today's the day i damned near drove my truck in the river. i need some further help. i undid EVERYTHING i touched (unpluged power outlet, radio) and i am STILL blowing this IOD fuse. i am very frustrated ha, i could care less about anything us, but my radio, spare me my radio... im singing garth to myself here. any suggestions? i looked at all the wiring harness', checked the outlet/radio wiring, everything seems a ok. but i am still blowing this fuse. on top of that i popped off my temp/map light console cause there was a rattle in there, and it must have been too cold cause i broke the tabs, so now its danglin there....what a day, what a day....
thanks guys for listening to me bi*** a bit ha,
Mike

Old 12-21-2007, 12:30 AM
chevy350

alittle duct tape outta fix that console.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Mike454
Professional

exactly what i did haha to tell you the truth.

Quick Reply: blown a fuse...need advice