2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fan clutch and water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:56 AM
sbrunn9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan clutch and water pump

My truck was makin some weird noises so i brought it to my mechanic. He said it looks like the water pump and fan clutch need to be replaced. Any of you replaced these? Is it a common problem with these trucks. Also if anyone replaced theres did you buy them from the dealership or some aftermarket company. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:04 AM
WesV
Rookie
Default RE: fan clutch and water pump

It would help to know what motor you have, V6, V8,V10 or CTD? I replaced the water pump on my 5.9 V8 in a Cabella's parking lot with minimal hand tools and one BIG ole wrench. You need the BIG ole wrench to remove the fan clutch. I consider it a 3 out of 5 stars for hardness with :
1- Ability to Check Oil and Change a fuse
to
5 - Certified mechanics only

The hardest part is making sure that the gasket seals up good. I use blue RTV along with the paper gasket, some people dislike this practice, but I have had nothing but stellar experience with it.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

water pump is a wear out item, with life expectancy of 75-150k miles. i had to replace mine this past spring at about 125k miles. this is common. as far as the fan clutch, while it can fail, i don't think its failure is all that common. either way, you have to remove it to change the water pump, and if its not too expensive (~$50), then its not overly important. don't be surprised if the total job is pricey.

if you keep your scope small, and replace water pump only, its actually possible to remove only the wp and fan. because i couldn't get my fan off, i unbolted wp only and pulled it off with fan still attached.

if you're going to keep the truck, do it right and replace wp, water pump bypass hose (hidden), thermostat, inspect/maybe replace your radiator hoses and heater hoses, flush block and radiator. also consider timing chain and front oil seal. because the wp bolts onto the timing cover, which bolts onto the front of the block over the water inlets, it becomes a big water pipe and a major part of the cooling system. its really a good idea to remove and re-seal timing cover too, as its prone to leak coolant if you don't.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_735291/tm.htm

Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 AM
sbrunn9
Veteran

Sorry i thought my engine size was in my sig. It's a 5.9. with 52k. Mileage sounds low for these probems but this truck constantly has problems it shouldn't have. I'm just getting the parts from the dealer, i work there so i get it at price, and having my mechanic install them. I don't know enough to tackle it myself. Just more money i'm pouring into my truck. My dad and my mechanic actually think i should sell it, but i don't want to. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

water pump is a wear out item, with life expectancy of 75-150k miles. i had to replace mine this past spring at about 125k miles. this is common. as far as the fan clutch, while it can fail, i don't think its failure is all that common. either way, you have to remove it to change the water pump, and if its not too expensive (~$50), then its not overly important. don't be surprised if the total job is pricey.

if you keep your scope small, and replace water pump only, its actually possible to remove only the wp and fan. because i couldn't get my fan off, i unbolted wp only and pulled it off with fan still attached.

if you're going to keep the truck, do it right and replace wp, water pump bypass hose (hidden), thermostat, inspect/maybe replace your radiator hoses and heater hoses, flush block and radiator. also consider timing chain and front oil seal. because the wp bolts onto the timing cover, which bolts onto the front of the block over the water inlets, it becomes a big water pipe and a major part of the cooling system. its really a good idea to remove and re-seal timing cover too, as its prone to leak coolant if you don't.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_735291/tm.htm
I hate to argue, but I believe your mileage numbers are reveresed. Fan clutches are good for maybe 75K - 125K miles. Water pumps are a crapshoot. The waterpump in my 2002 Cavalier has 146K miles on it as is still going strong.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my waterpump changed and went with one from the dealer. I just have started liking OEM stuff more as I seem to have better luck with it.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:25 PM
1500sport
Professional

I just replaced my water pump at 54,000 miles, fan clutch seemed fine. Getting to and changing the thermostat was a bigger PITA than the water pump, IMO.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Water pump is so simple that its really a non issue. Accessories are just bolts. Nothing you have to worry about other than turning a wrench left or right. Getting a big wrench for the fan bolt is about the only thing. I had the factory water pump on my truck untill this fall, about 185k. It didnt die either, it just leaked from the o ring where the heater return pipe goes in. I decided to replace it anyways. Idk if you need the fan clutch or not, but it doesnt hurt to change it out.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the engine off try to spin the fan by hand. It should have resistance but be smooth and quiet. If it spins easily (like all the way around or more) with a slight push or is noisy you need a new fan clutch.
I'm on my second clutch but original water pump.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rabbler

With the engine off try to spin the fan by hand. It should have resistance but be smooth and quiet. If it spins easily (like all the way around or more) with a slight push or is noisy you need a new fan clutch.
I'm on my second clutch but original water pump.
Another test is to open the hood and start the engine. Watch the fan spin and then kill the engine. If the fan continues to spin when the engine is shutting down, the fan-clutch is toast.

Quick Reply: fan clutch and water pump