2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best oil and oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007 | 12:21 AM
jperkins812
Professional
Default RE: best oil and oil filters

I use a Mopar oil filter and Valvoline Maxlife oil in my truck.

Old 12-24-2007 | 01:03 AM
XXL 1500
Captain

Dino oil - Castrol High Milage = GREAT All Around Oil.
Syn.- Amsoil= used in my Diesel, and it does great.
Filters = K+N Are GREAT Filters, i have cut one open to check one out, and they are Very well designed
-1 for FRAM= boooo
Mobil 1 Oil Filters are also great - used in my aunt's GTO.

Old 12-24-2007 | 01:09 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

For me its Wix & mobile 1 syn. or that Quakerstate horsepower stuff. Which ever I grab off the shelf first at walmart.

Old 12-24-2007 | 03:35 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: OlsenG_360

supertech filters are also made by fram, same with quaker state and pennzoil filters. none of which i would recommend.
Actually the WallyWorld Supertech are made by Champion Labs. They also make:

Champion Labs

Bosch
Car and Driver
Deutsch
Mobil 1
STP
SuperTech
K&N
Valvoline filters
Mighty
Service Champ
Lee
AutoZone Value Craft
Some AC Delco
VW (some)
Warner
Luberfiner
Trust

The Quaker States are made by Purolator

The Pennzoil are made by Fram but Guess what, Sowere theMopar OEM for years.
Now they are mosty Purolatos, although nothing special.

A pretty complete list is available here
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...051#Post337051
Caution there is information overload as well as a fair bit of BS over at BITOG

I personally use whatever synthetic is on sale. (usually Syntec or Mobil 1) and either QS filter ($2 at Menard's on sale often) or a Fram XG (got a bunch free on a promo) which are way better constructed than the Orange ones.

Old 12-24-2007 | 09:18 AM
2 Marks
Professional

Consumer Reports did extensive testing with taxi cabs and found little-to-no difference in engine wear with readily availableoils. The test ran for somethingamazinglike 600k per engine! Their recomendation is to buy the cheapest oil that is ILSAC approved and meets the oil type for the year your engine was made (SJ, SH, etc.). Personally I semi-disagree with the statement to purchase just on price as this may lead to using brank x today, brand y tomorrow and brand z the next time. Truck drivers will tell you that when they change oil types with their rigs, oil consumption occurs. They believe it is due to the engine needing to get used to a new add-pack.

Personally, I go to wally world and buy Mobil One high milage full synthetic. I use a Mobil One filter. It's a $32 oil change that gets done every 5k. With over 100k, there are zero leaks and zero burn-off. The first 90k consisted of Valvoline high milage conventional. I switched because I went full synthetic for all lubricants except grease. Valvoline's high milage is only offered as a semi-synthetic.

My oil choice was simple as I live in the sticks... it is easier to find a wally world than it is to find a specialty store that carries Royal Purple.

The moral of this is that less focus is needed on oil if you are using top quality name brands... turn your focus to the construction of the oil filter - this is your weakest link. Search around, there is a link in this forumto atest performed by one of the members here. You will be amazed at the knowledge learned from his testing.

Remember, opinions are like... everybody has one. I hope this helps.

Old 12-24-2007 | 10:58 AM
2500 mopar
|
Veteran

thanks guys

Old 12-25-2007 | 09:52 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Champion Labs makes many brands of filters, BUT they are made to the customer company's specifications some of which are different from Champions requirements.

Old 12-25-2007 | 08:45 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita kansas
i have spent about 100 hrs reserching, oil, filters, oil additives. this is what i decieded to use. this doesnt mean that there arent other good products. the must imporant thing i learned, be SURE you have enough zinc in your oil.just search google with zinc, or zinc in oils. rule of thumb, diesel and motorcycle oils will most often have zinc in them, auto oil mostly dont. i use purolator pure one filter, be sure its pure one. valvoline 15w-40 prememion blue ( diesel ). then go to web site zddplus.com to get even more zinc

Old 12-25-2007 | 11:10 PM
RamMan_8520
Rookie

Personally i use the MOPAR recommended oil filter

Old 12-26-2007 | 09:15 AM
mcss8541
All Star

I'm a Big fan of Royal Purple and I have nothing bad to say about Amsoil. However if you are going to run either of these superior oils in your truck you need a filter that can go the distance. I have used both the K&N and the Bosch. Bosch is good for regular oil change intervals maybe a little further however since both of the oils mentioned above can go WAY past the recommended 3 month/3000 mile interval; the K&N and the Mobil One Extended Performance filters can go the distance. Hopefully this helps. PS I've used this combination for yrs and have NEVER had a problem.

Quick Reply: best oil and oil filters