2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best oil and oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007 | 09:10 AM
2500 mopar
|
Veteran
Default best oil and oil filters

i would liketo know if K&N or Bosch oil filters are any good? and also what is the best oil... Royal Purple? thanks

Old 12-23-2007 | 11:09 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Default RE: best oil and oil filters

Couldn't tell you about the K&N or Bosch filters.

Amsoil is the best as far as synthetic oil goes. I use their oil fiter as well. it's creeping up on 6,000 miles since my last oil chance and the oil is still crystal clean, and runs like the day I changed it. My truck had mineral oil in it for 100,000 miles before that too, and switching to the synthetic it didn't leak a drop.

Old 12-23-2007 | 11:46 AM
reckless

I am a dealer for Amsoil but I would also say Amsoil is probably one of the best synthetics out there. I use it in eveything i own from mower,to quad & all of my vehicles because it allways seems to stand up to what ever you can throw at it.

[/align]

Old 12-23-2007 | 12:01 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

I think it depends what you want out of your oil. What's the best isn't so black or white.
I think amsoil is the best all around oil but it's expensive. I only think it's worth it if you run extended oil intervals. (20k) or more. I think redline and royal purple produce the most power but I don't think they last as long as Amsoil.
I don't think the K&N filters are anything special. The Wix Pure One, Napa Gold, and Amsoil filters are all highly recommended .

For most of us it doesn't really matter. If your doing 3k oil changes you can use just about anything. Even the Walmart supertec oil is pretty decent and the supertec filters are a very good design. The orange Frams that have such a bad rep for being cheaply made are still fine for normal intervals.

Old 12-23-2007 | 12:17 PM
MMGoose

I just switched to Royal Purple about 1000 miles ago, I do not know what the guy had in it before, but I have used RP for a while. We even used RP in some of our vechiels in IRaq to help keep the engine temp down ( it worked), Never got a chance to check to see what it looked like because the truck got blown up.

Old 12-23-2007 | 02:23 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ive heard great things about royal purple.

i personally use Q sythetic either 4x4 power/torque or horsepower blend. I also use a k&n filter and i like it.

Old 12-23-2007 | 02:48 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

purolator pure one, ac delco, napa gold, and wix are all good filters, and none are significantly higher priced than the fram.

go with one of those and oil of your choice.

just incase anyone was wondering, supertech motor oil=pennzoil

edit: i was mistaken, Supertech filters are made by champion. quaker state filters may have changed to purolator, but looking at older ones every day for several years, they are exactly the same construction as fram/pennzoil, extremely cheap.

Old 12-23-2007 | 03:09 PM
SilverRam_01
Captain

IDK what y'all are using. I use Shell 10-30 conventional with a Wix filter, because I had a Fram blow up on me in my Bronco II. I throw Shell in it, beause I change the oil every 3k-5k, and it's usually pretty clean, and my truck doesn't leak. All the shops I've ever worked for, we just threw in oil pumped out of a big tank, and threw either a shell or a spertec on the cars. I wouldn't put synthetic in anything, unless it was specifically supposed to have it. I got a buddy who puts Royal Purple in his beater '84 toyota p-up with a wal-mart filter... so who knows?

Old 12-23-2007 | 07:54 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

Amsoil is still clean? I don't like the sound of that. Oil is supposed to suspend particualtes. If you had the equipment you could remove these and put the same oil back in your truck. Oil is supposed to get dirty, that means it is working.

I have always used Quaker State. Now I am using QS high mileage that has slick 50 added. Someone on this site suggested regualar oil plus 1 quart of Slick 50. Claimed his mpg went up slightly.

The only engine oil I ever heard not to use was Shell Fire and Ice of the 1970's.

Old 12-23-2007 | 08:41 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

clean as in a golden color , which still does not say much till you have it tested. my self i like to change my oil at 3000-5000 mile .use to use amsoil in the engine but hard to find and $$$ good oil filters are napa gold , wix , purone , ST , well you even can get mopar oil filters at walmart...

Quick Reply: best oil and oil filters