2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exploding Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 AM
rmiller
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exploding Battery

Has this happened to anyone? A couple years ago I turned the key to start my 94 Ram when I heard what sounded like a 12 guage shotgun being fired. I was with my son at a local boy scout camp so my initial thought was that one of the little brats had M-80ed me. The truck wouldn't start so I popped the hood and found that my battery had blown completely apart. The top had blown off with such force that it dented the hood. If my head had been under the hood when it happened it would have killed me or worse.

I hadn't had any problems with the battery and had used it only a week earlier to jump start my lawn mower. Nowadays I'm extremely respectfull of any battery I work around regardless of how old or new they are. These things can take your head off.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:57 AM
v10power
Professional
Default RE: Exploding Battery

Yeah that happened to me once, but that was due to an extreme overcharging problem i was having at the time. The battery was under the seat on my t bucket... scared the living **** out of me. thank god i had a steel seat bottom on it instead of the normal wood like everyone else uses. i thought ahead, just never thought it would actually come in handy!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:51 AM
OlsenG_360
Professional

my friend's dad works in a battery recycling center. they test all the car batteries before they send them to be refurbished. he had just tested a couple batteries, took them out of the tester & was carrying them over to a pallet, and one exploded while he was carrying it. broke a couple of his ribs & gave him nasty acid scars/burns. He's very lucky he didn't get killed from that experience.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep telling people when jumping a vehicle the jumper cables go positive to postive and then negative on the donor to a GROUND on the engine block or where the negative cable bolts to the dead vehicle. But no, people think it goes P to P and N to N and that it's cute when there are little sparks. One guy I knew always rolled his eyes at me then I told him that someday he's going to learn the hard way because you never know if there is escaping hydrogen gas around the top of the battery. Another guy I know said he never paid it heed until one exploded on him one day and he thanked God he was wearing eye protection.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 PM
SilverRam_01
Captain

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

I keep telling people when jumping a vehicle the jumper cables go positive to postive and then negative on the donor to a GROUND on the engine block or where the negative cable bolts to the dead vehicle. But no, people think it goes P to P and N to N and that it's cute when there are little sparks. One guy I knew always rolled his eyes at me then I told him that someday he's going to learn the hard way because you never know if there is escaping hydrogen gas around the top of the battery. Another guy I know said he never paid it heed until one exploded on him one day and he thanked God he was wearing eye protection.
I'm one of those people. Damn. I'm a retard. I've always read that you should put it to ground, but i's more convenient to do it to the battery. Guess I'll start doing it the right way. BTW I'm also a big fan of eye protection, a BFG G-Force I was trying to seat on a rim blew up one time, and a chunk hit me in the face and ripped muscles inside my eye. I wear my safety glasses now. :P

Old 12-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as it is a ground bolt that is fine. They are numerous under the hood and you may have to scratch some paint for a good connection. Small price to pay compared to a mutilated/burned body from an exploding battery.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:48 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard the p-p, neg to ground, but thanks for the info.
Yea, I'm a big fan of safety goggles now, it's saved me from problems quite a few times!

Old 12-26-2007, 04:03 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ive heard it multiple times, it even says it in the manuels. i jumped off my roomate and he is one of those "nah dont do it that way" i just looked at him and was like READ THE BOOK *******. i dont want to pay the price the hard way. im always easy around batteries anyway, they are unpredictable sometimes.

Quick Reply: Exploding Battery