2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

**Update** Headers are HERE-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: ALRIGHT...FINALLY HEADERS ON WAY

i wish longtubes were in production when i put my headers on... figures

Old 12-29-2007, 01:27 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I can't wait to see and hear when you get the headers. It's probably going to just make me spend more money on some for myself, but that'll be great. Good luck with the install and everything.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

OMG guys! You won't believe it! MY HEADGASKETS AND LOCKER NUTS CAME TODAY! Yeahh!!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hank L: Thanks for that great information! From all the problems I have read about, I was scared away from the headers. That graphite gasket looks great! I have not seen any write ups on the copper ones either.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Little cute update on the headers** They are in along with the y-pipe. And damn, they look awfully sexy. Now I'm just shopping around my mechanics to see who can get me the best deal to have them installed. Pretty excited about this, finally stepping into this big leagues with real modifications, mint!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Dude do it yourself. I swear you'll be alot happy and have more money for other mods.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I seriouslly would, but I have everything going wrong for a project like that. I don't have any of the tools to do it, I don't have a welder, I don't have the garage, it's fricken freezing up here lol. The list just goes on. I don't really know what I'm doing either with a project like that, and the last thing I want is everything all unassembled sitting in my driveway with my truck stranded lol. It's just a mess. If I had a nice garage to do it in with all the right tools and I could be left alone, yes, I'd love to tackle it lol

Old 01-03-2008, 04:41 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Oh yea I forgot that you have to weld. Nevermind have some one else do it

Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
ron333
Captain

I installed mine and just had everything slip fitted together and snug with the regular clamps that they sent with the y-pipe so I could drive it to a shop to have it welded. I would suggest, however, getting the 3" stainless steel band clamps from somewhere like summit for the headers. That's what I did because I didn't want them to grind away at the ceramic coating to weld them to the y-pipe. If you use the band clamps on the headers, then use regular clamps on the other joints, and put in a couple of strategically placed temporary hangers, it will hold together just fine for a trip to the welder. The band clamps have worked very surprisingly well on mine as a permanent installation on the headers.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Ok, so I spent today going around to my different exhaust shops asking them how much it would be to install the longtube headers and y-pipe and but it up to my existing gutted cat (didn't tell them it was gutted). Some guys were a bit out of line and said the job would take 6-7 hours and probably looking at $375-450, and I was just like yeahhh ok man. Even the guy who originally installed my exhaust system quoted me more for just the headers than he did the entire exhaust system, so I thought that was a bit stupid. I was somewhat hoping he'd cut me a little deal considering I had him do the exhaust in the first place. So finally I took a pretty big drive down to the exhaust shop that did my brothers true dual. It's a 20 mile drive just to get there, but I knew it was worth asking him. He is absolutely fearless on anyjob, and he gives really good prices. He did my brother true dual for $175, that's nuts. Anyway, he came out and looked at the longtube headers. I told him it came with a matching y-pipe as well. I also told him I wanted to make sure that from the y-pipe to the cat that there was going to be a 3" pipe so it can be a completely 3" system. He looked at the engine and the headers once more, and said it's probably a 3-4 hour job. He said expect $240-300. And that's exactly what I was looking for, no bull****. So I made an appointment with them Janurary 14th to have the headers and y-pipe installed on the truck to complete the exhaust system. I am so excited, can't even describe it to you. I've got everything here at the house too (headers, y-pipe, locker nuts, the higher quality headgaskets). So everything is all set. I just got to save up a little extra and I'll be ready to go in less than a week and half from now. I can't wait. She's gonna be even louder! I'm so anxtious to see the results from the headers too. Can't wait to open up the hood and see this sweet shiny looking headers butted up against the block, it's going to look so badass! Everyone thinks I'm crazy because this truck is already way too loud, but damn, she's finally going to be a complete exhaust system, and not just all noise. After I get these installed, I got to do something about the intake system. I just don't know which one to go with. Theres the airhat everyone here does, there's the dual intake option, theres the volant, k&n, or AEM brute force. Many options here, I just want to pick the one that is going to give me the most h/p, while looking the sharpest too. Anyway, I'm getting a little too excited here, lata!

Quick Reply: **Update** Headers are HERE-)