2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Sound when CD playing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:41 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Sound when CD playing

I had a Sony Cd player in my truck. I replaced it because I was no longer getting sound from the thing when it was in CD or Aux mode. Well my new Cd player does the same thing. I think it is a problem with the factory amp. I triple checked the Wiring, I have a good ground and the Blue wire is hooked up. Short of running new wires from the head unit to the speakers, are there any options that I have? Has anyone else had these problems?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:09 PM
mferrari
Default RE: No Sound when CD playing

Not sure how the stock amps are wired but it sounds too me the amp is wired to a power antenna wire... This means the amp is only turning on when the radio (power antenna) is on. When you switch to CD the power antenna wire is no longer live meaning your amp is no longer turning on...

Pull the radio out. You should see a solid blue wire and a blue wire with a white stripe... switch them around.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:06 PM
nolazach
Veteran

You are 1000000% right. I looked at it today and that stuck out to me. I had the same problem with a caprice a long time ago. What I did was hook the blue wire to my aftermarket amp and the blue/white to my factory. When there is no radio there is no power to the blue/white wire.

I was looking up this topic yesterday and alot of people seem to have this problem. I think your solution is always the answer. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

If you ever have trouble with a head unit and your not sure if its defective take it down to a car stereo place to have it bench tested. They will usually do it for free and can throw some good trouble shooting tips your way to solve the problem. Good to see it was an easy fix.

Quick Reply: No Sound when CD playing