2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I just got everything running right and now this

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just got everything running right and now this

Ok after I did the timing chain and plenum my truck felt like it was driving a ton better. I could get the tires to spin from a dead stop. Know it's back to the way it was before. I can’t spin the tires even if I power brake. Here’s my thought I was rough with the connectors on the fuel injectors. In fact I had to break that tab off on all but 2 of them. My brother in-law said that if they come loose they will cause misfires. I did get a misfire in 3 of the cylinders the day after I finished everything up. To fix the problem I reset the code to see if it would come back. It’s been three days and it hasn’t come back. The code that did come back was P1740. I’ve erased the code and I’m going to watch for it but, I’m extremely worried about it because it’s a transmission code. Tonight I’m going to get some electrical tape and tape the fuel injector connectors really good so that they can’t wiggle loose. I did some research and found that misfires can trip that code along with the TC being bad. What else should I look at to figure out what the problem is? Hopefully I’ll get lucky and the code won’t come back.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I just got everything running right and now this

Hey Ice I have literally a dumb question what made you change your timing chain? The reason I asked is because I'm getting ready to do a heads swap and since then engine is going to be torn down that far I want to replace water pump, timing chain with cover and gaskets, and any other components that can change. The truck has 123,000 miles on it and even though they are ALL hwy I don't know the life expectancy of timing chains. Also can I run a double ctyle timing chain?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

The original chain is coated with Nylon to make it quite. This nylon rubs off very quickly causing alot of slack in the chain. The slackcauses the timing to be retarded andhas the possiblilty to jump timing.I decided that since I was replacing the plenum I would change the timing chain too. It's really not that hard to do. I think the hardest parts were getting the fan off and getting the bolt on the Harmonic balancer loose.here is the chain I installed. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 12-27-2007, 12:02 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Do you think that low fluid could cause this problem?

Old 12-27-2007, 04:23 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

Do you think that low fluid could cause this problem?
still talking about the trans ? maybe low fluid , but rember you went out and start beating on it what did you expect ?

Old 12-27-2007, 04:25 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I think I missed something? I've never talked about the tranny before. I don't think I've ever beaten on it either.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:32 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I've been researching this all day (Instead of working). I had the TB completly removed. When I reinstall do I need to adjust the TV cable?

Old 12-27-2007, 04:54 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

You're gonna be right there at it. I would go ahead and make sure it is right.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:22 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Roger That Ice appreciate it. Like I stated earlier I have to replaced my heads and since the engine is tore down I might as well change it out. The fan I don't have to worry about because I installed Flex-a-Lite dual electric fan from 4 wheelparts.com prt no. FLX-295.

Quick Reply: I just got everything running right and now this