2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram NP231 problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:33 PM
kyle31490
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram NP231 problem, please help!

Ok, here's the dilema. I have a 96 dodge ram 1500 regular cab short bed. It has the 318 5.2 in it. It is a 5 speed. Last Febuary, I had to get a new transfer case because it was blown out when I got the truck. The cheapest one that I could find was $450. I scrounged up the cash and got it. I then found out that the case that they gave me was out of a newer, automatic ram... I believe it was a 98 or 99. So a tranny shop had to switch a couple things over to make it work for my standard. The driveshaft that was put in it was out of a 78 chevy. I was told it was the same, but later found out that it was a little too long. But anyway, not too long after I put the truck on the road and started driving it, I started having 4x4 problems. When I put it into 4 wheel drive, the thing sounds like it's gonna explode! The chevy driveshaft that was in it was a little too long, so I was told that my noise, which is like a "clunk" was coming from extra play in the shaft. So for christmas, my dad bought me a brand new bolt in driveshaft. I ended up having to exchange it, because it was way too long. I found out that I had to get the shaft for the automatic because of whatever the shop had switched over onto the automatic case to fit in my standard truck. So i got the shaft in, and the same terrible noise is there. It sounds as if there is a huge clunk every time the shaft spins. I got all 4 wheels off the ground and had my step-dad get under to make sure that it's in the case, and it is. so, I think that maybe the chain has slack in it. I can get a chain for about $80... I also checked and found out that there is no tensioner in the case. But i'm not 100% sure if this is the problem, and i definitly can't afford to buy any more parts that wont fix my problem. I also cant have the truck down for long because it's my transportation to school and work. So if anyone has ANY ideas or anything that can help me, please post it here. I'm kinda desperate and everyone around here continues to give me false information, including the dodge dealership. As you can tell by now, I'm pretty new to this stuff, but i'm not incapable, so please help guys. Thank you!

*The front axle is a dana 44, if that helps at all.[/align]

Old 01-01-2008, 09:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 96 Ram NP231 problem, please help!

did your cobbled up one every work right. if so, you might take it apart and see if its fixable.

here's one option. about $1000. http://www.drivetrain.com/transfercaseapp.html

another option is go back to the junk yard, and get a t-case for your manual trans.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 AM
kyle31490

It did work properly at first for a short while. I wish I could afford a new one and avoid this headache, I would definitly take that route. I'm thinking the chain is stretched and I know that there is no tensioner in there...

Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 AM
TheForce55555
All Star

I would get all the correct parts, Im sure a junkyard somewhere has transfer case for your truck and a drive shaft. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy again

Quick Reply: 96 Ram NP231 problem, please help!