2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what should i get?

Both are great engines. I've always wheeled the V-8's (both the newer Magnums and the old LA's), and they've never let me down. The diesels are great because you get gobs of torque on the low end, and you can easily/cheaply modify them for awesome amounts of power. Like Snafu said though, it really boils down to a personal preference between the two. I don't think you could go wrong with either engine, but expect to pay a good amount more for a Cummins than a V-8.

If you go with an auto, you'll get a different transmission with the two engines. I believe the diesel gets the 47RE (or is it the 48RE?) and the V-8's run the 46RE. Basically the same trannys, but the 47RE has beefier internals (extra planetaries and whatnot). I don't know if there's a difference between the manual trannys for the two engines though. Maybe Snafu knows.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Snafu

Yah, the diesels make tons of torque and power, and can be easily modified for a LOT more. But expect to pay $3-4000 more for one. Like I said before, the only real downsides are that they're very heavy, they have a limited RPM range, and if something breaks on the trail it's much harder cobble fix it to get you out. Gas motors don't make nearly the power, and it's much more expensive to modify them to match the power. But they're easier to fix on the trail, a lot lighter, and the initial cost of the truck will be much lower. Just gotta figure out which benefits match your needs most.

Here's the differences in the transmissions. '96 and older had the 46RH behind the gas motors and 47RH behind the diesels. Those are hydraulicly controlled transmissions (H designation). '97 and newer had the 46RE and 47RE, almost identical except they're electronically controlled by the computer (E designation). The 4 means 4 forward gears, the 6 or 7 designates relative strength on a scale of 1-10 (though I think their scale sucks), the R means rear wheel drive, and the H or E stands for Hydraulic or Electronic.

The manuals were a bit different. All 2nd Gen diesels had the NV4500 5-speed with 1/1-4" input shaft, or NV5600 6-speed. These are STRONG manuals. The cases are cast iron, they have carbon fiber syncros, they both have granny-low first gear, and hold up to a LOT of abuse. The gas motors either had the NV3500 5-speed which was a light duty aluminum case, or the NV4500 like the diesel but with a 1-1/8" input shaft. The NV3500 is a good trans, had one in a Chevy a few years ago. But it's aluminum and lighter duty and doesn't have the granny-low first gear. I have seen them take a LOT of abuse off road though. The NV4500 is the way to go. Granny-low is very good to have, and the trans is very durable. The only downside of the NV4500 is that the first few years, '94-'97, have a 23 spline output which makes it hard to find a replacement transfer case if yours breaks, and they had a problem with the nut that holds the rail for 5th gear backing off. Not sure what all the details are on that issue. But in '98 they changed it to a 29 spline output to match the autos, and fixed the 5th gear nut issue.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:18 PM
banwhalen
Rookie

I'd buy a Nissan or Toyota.

Mopar is useless. They have more problems than not.

The truck should be called the Dodge Lamb.

If I had to do it over again, I would not buy a Dodge Ram. A Toyota Corolla can out perform a Ram any day.

I have never hauled or towed anything, and I was told by Mopar that my rear differential needs rebuilt, at 50k. I have had my transmission linkage slip all the time. I cannot get rid of the knock/pinging w/out running 93 Octane. I could go on and on, but my best advice is to stay away from Mopar. My Old Pig Ain't Runnin' .

Old 12-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Snafu

Anybody can buy any brand they want. My guess is that 95% of your truck's problems involve it's owner.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Snafu

Anybody can buy any brand they want. My guess is that 95% of your truck's problems involve it's owner.
LOL. I'd have to agree. I have yet to find anyone who hates their Ram and wouldn't buy another in a heartbeat.

BTW, thanks for all the good info on the manual trannys. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-06-2004, 04:08 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ramtuff

ORIGINAL: Snafu

LOL. I'd have to agree. I have yet to find anyone who hates their Ram and wouldn't buy another in a heartbeat.

BTW, thanks for all the good info on the manual trannys. [sm=smiley20.gif]
I agree, Rams Rock!!! Fix the few flaws they have and you should have a pretty dependable truck.. APS precision can build a bullet proof (supposedly) auto tranny that can handle quite a bit of power and abuse.