2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which brand ring/pinion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 PM
cvec7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which brand ring/pinion?

Basically, should I go with Yukon gears or 'Geniune Gear' brand?

I need new ones because there's a spot on the ring where there's no backlash, so it causes this horrible, loud vibrating noise. However, is it possible that the gears will sort of wear into themselves and that after a few hundred miles I won't hear the noise anymore? The dealer claims it's fine to drive.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Angelflight
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which brand ring/pinion?

The gods honest truth is that both brands are the same. They are all made in the same factory in South East Asia. The metal is the same. The only diffrence is the "pro or hardend" ones. They have more run in which means that the ring and pinon were mated and run together on a machine to get them to "be more freindly" ie quieter and with a better pattern. I used to work at 4wheel parts. We had both Yukon and Genuine Gear. the boxes they came in, the numbers on them, everything were the same. The owner of the company Greg Adler, used standard Genuine Gear gears in his race truck. When it comes to Cryo Treated they are harder but will not last any longer then normal. They just resist shattering better. If any of thiscan help you then, here you go.I might be slightly off but i know that the basis is right. please correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Which brand ring/pinion?

I've heard Yukon gears have really good instructions if you're going to be installing them yourself

Quick Reply: Which brand ring/pinion?