2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who has Sonically cleaned Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Who has Sonically cleaned Injectors

ORIGINAL: Sehr916

Do you guys have a link to the sonic cleaners you bought?
Thanks
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4408109

Currenty out of stock, but that's the one I got. BTW, don't use water...

Old 01-07-2008, 02:08 AM
v10power
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used mineral spirts as i read others have done. It worked out great and the performance afterwards was great. I'm sure others would tell you to use something other then what i did, but it was great. Every oil change i usually run Lucas Fuel Treatment threw it. I plan on selling it to get a CTD soon and keep my 1500 to play with, eventhough i'm sure i won't keep the CTD stock.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

I clean mine with an ultrasonic bath,

I just used the chevron tehcron plus injector cleaner in the bath undiluted. Cleaner turned cloudy gray, but the injectors were pretty clean on the outside when I started. I think one of the biggest tips is just simply running top tier gas and don't let your tank go below about 1/4 if you can help it. That way you know you're getting quality gas, and your not sucking the sediment in your tank thru the injectors.
What does running below ¼ tank have to do with it? Top tier gas?

ORIGINAL: WayneC

Prevention? Every oil change; STP, Marvel, or you favorite fuel inj. cleaner in the tank. RELIGEOUSLY! Dri-gas or Stabil are great too. I've heard that these are just money stealers, but after DECADES of use with NO; underscore "NO" F/I problems, I believe! Had a TBI Chevy with 200+K miles and NEVER a F/I related problem.
Solvent wise; any "solvent" will work. Mineral spirits, Diesel, etc.
BINGO! It all boils down to maintenance, which most people won't get off of their *** to do. I mow approximately 2 acres around my house with a push mower, while people I work with are "much too busy" and pay someone to mow their grass. Go figure.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:11 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

What does running below ¼ tank have to do with it? Top tier gas?
Two things can happen when you constantly run under a 1/4 tank:

Sediment from the inside of your tank, the gas, the dirt in the air, etc. usually settles toward the bottom of the tank while the truck sits and you can suck a bunch up into the filter and pump by running extra low on the tank, especially the first startup in the morning or after a long period of sitting undriven. More gas in the tank dilutes the sediment-to-gas ratio and can keep a large amount of it for getting inhaled in to the pump all at once and causing a clog or finer bits moving into the fuel rail and injector screens.

Also, the pump is partially cooled by gasoline that covers it in the tank. The more it gets exposed to air and not fluid, the quicker it heats up and can over time cause premature failure.

Top tier gas:

http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/a/110305.htm

You may think it's bunk, but at least there's some sort of standard out there.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, that's why the filters have to be changed at regular intervals. I did that on my Cavalier, and now that it has been totaled, I think I will pull the fuel rail and see what the injectors look like.

I think that is a myth that the fuel pump will overheat if the tank runs below ¼. A lot of myth somehow becomes "fact" thanks to the Internet; whereas before people could deduce it to be rumor and conjecture.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

I'd be leary of running dry gas unless you got a ****ty tank of gas. It dries out and rots things in your fuel system. I gotta say i've never heard a bad thing about marvel mystery oil though. Definetly a good choice there.
[/quote]
Myth! What is in the fuel system to dry out or rot? If anyone out there is using ethenol 10%, you've got waayy more alcohol in your system than a pint of dri-gas imparts. Modern fuel systems use neoprene fittings, hoses, gaskets, etc. Not effected by alcohol.
That having been said, unless you suspect (alot) of water in the fuel, I wouldn't use it regularly, as any of the other fuel additives will keep your fuel system happy and clean; as will ethenol. But it won't harm your fuel system.
WC

Quick Reply: Who has Sonically cleaned Injectors