2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who has Sonically cleaned Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 AM
v10power
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has Sonically cleaned Injectors

Well last night i finally got the ultra sonic cleaner and did the injectors. I got alot of white/grayish colored deposits out of them. Is that you want to get out of them? I usually just send them out and get them back and install but I wanted to do it this time myself. Well i plan on putting new o rings on them and installing everything back together in my V10 today with hope, as long as i can get the new o rings and plenum gaskets and stuff today. Also i soaked inside the fuel rail with sea foam. I checked the fuel that came out of the line before the rail and it seemed cleaned, but i'm gunna dump sea foam in the tank too prior to running it and do that for the first while. I just wanted to see what other peoples results was with the crud and the amount they got out of thier injectors. Whats some good tips on trying to prevent this from happening again? this is the 3rd time in like 1 year!
Thanks in advance to any and all that respond!
Ken

Old 01-05-2008, 05:01 PM
v10power
Professional
Default RE: Who has Sonically cleaned Injectors

Well after freezing my rear off in the michigan wet weather i finally got the job complete and let me tell you its like i switched from a v8 back to the v10. Its so much better, seems like it doubled it power and runs that much smoother. I am so happy that i decided to clean them myself this time after reading about it here at the great site.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I clean mine with an ultrasonic bath,

I just used the chevron tehcron plus injector cleaner in the bath undiluted. Cleaner turned cloudy gray, but the injectors were pretty clean on the outside when I started. I think one of the biggest tips is just simply running top tier gas and don't let your tank go below about 1/4 if you can help it. That way you know you're getting quality gas, and your not sucking the sediment in your tank thru the injectors.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the big problems IMO is no one ever changes the regulator/filter on the pump.
I understand why the parts cost plus the labor make it unattractive.
I was only able to sell a handful to customers in over 10 years.
I think it was stupid of Dodge to make it so inaccessible.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 on the filter location being stupid

Also I run a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner through my tank (put it in before you fill up) ever time I rotate my tires (2500 miles) and it definetly helps. Maintinace always repairs.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:33 PM
highlander73
Professional

What solvents did you use in the ultrasonice cleaner bath v10? Pure techron sounds expensive. Does your ultrasonice cleaner have heat too?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prevention? Every oil change; STP, Marvel, or you favorite fuel inj. cleaner in the tank. RELIGEOUSLY! Dri-gas or Stabil are great too. I've heard that these are just money stealers, but after DECADES of use with NO; underscore "NO" F/I problems, I believe! Had a TBI Chevy with 200+K miles and NEVER a F/I related problem.
Solvent wise; any "solvent" will work. Mineral spirits, Diesel, etc.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Do you guys have a link to the sonic cleaners you bought?
Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WayneC

Prevention? Every oil change; STP, Marvel, or you favorite fuel inj. cleaner in the tank. RELIGEOUSLY! Dri-gas or Stabil are great too. I've heard that these are just money stealers, but after DECADES of use with NO; underscore "NO" F/I problems, I believe! Had a TBI Chevy with 200+K miles and NEVER a F/I related problem.
Solvent wise; any "solvent" will work. Mineral spirits, Diesel, etc.
I'd be leary of running dry gas unless you got a ****ty tank of gas. It dries out and rots things in your fuel system. I gotta say i've never heard a bad thing about marvel mystery oil though. Definetly a good choice there.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:33 AM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha i have the 5.9 v8 in my truck and have never touched the plenium gasket or my injectors but i have had to change the distributor and the coil, and cat, that is all that has ever been touched, besides sparkplugs and it has 180000 miles on it

Quick Reply: Who has Sonically cleaned Injectors