2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding acetone to gas for better MPGs?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Adding acetone to gas for better MPGs?!

finding the 'sweet spot' for the different generation Dodge Rams is a worthwhile experiment to do, and with the different aerodynamics and engines (plus MDS) it probably varies a bit

Old 01-06-2008, 11:43 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ICEMAN_CH

Actualy there is a "sweet spot" in speed. It's the fasteset possible speed with the lowest RPM. It all depends on the final ratio.
So how exactly would you find this sweet spot? I mean im my case after I had the transmission update put in my pcm, my overdrive doesnt kick in until ~ 50-51 mph consistantly, and will kick down when you hit 49, all the time. When overdrive kicks in, the needle is under 1500 rpm's with the gas pedel pressed down just before the shiftpoint (my pedel gets stiff). But at the same time by going to 55, I move a hair above 1500 rpms. How exactly would you find the best ratio considering an increase in rpm's would constitute less mpg, but ultimately more distance covered consuming less gas in the end? Jumping from 50 to 60, the needel ends up around the middle to upper rpms between 1500 and 2000. If I drive 50 as soon as it hits overdrive and I start to go up a hill.... then it downshifts. This would end up having a bad effect on mpg. The reason i mentioned the pcm update is because before I would shift into overdrive at 45 and you say 55 is the best. The update moved the shift point, but gearing is the same. so i guess 55 would be the same but i mean it is a little confusing if you see where I'm comming from.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I think from the things I've read that you want your RPMS above 1500. This is where the truck is making the most efficent amount of power. This way when you hit a hill you shouldn't loose to much momentum because the engine is putting in more power but using less gas but, I'm not exactly sure.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:10 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

It may not be the most scientific answer to where the sweet spot is, but if you are in tune with your truck you can feel it. My sweet spot is right at 57. To me it feels like the motor isnt stressing to pull itself out of being under too much load, and isnt spinning more than where torque is most previlant.

Quick Reply: Adding acetone to gas for better MPGs?!