2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding acetone to gas for better MPGs?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:58 PM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding acetone to gas for better MPGs?!

Not to sound like an idiot if this is a stupid question, but is there any merit to this? I've been reading on this idea lately and I have learned in the past to not automatically assume anything to be true or false before verifying it for myself, especially when it is dealing with information I've gotten from an unknown stranger and could possibly lead to very negative results.

I don't like to approach things with a closed mind, so on that note, I am researching the validity of this idea. These claims are that by adding pure acetone to the gas tank, anywhere from 1 to 3 ounces per 10 gallons of gas depending on which story you read, will result in improved fuel combustion and drastically better fuel mileage, and a possible improvement in throttle response. Supposedly it changes the way the gas acts during combustion, thus allowing it to burn more completely and readily. I would like to hear from the experts here what their opinions, and better yet, experiences they've had doing this.

I thought of doing some experiments with samples of the various materials in a typical fuel system to see if the acetone will corrode or deteriorate any of them. I would hate to use it in my truck and dissole the internals of my fuel system, or even worse, the injectors!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional
Default RE: Adding acetone to gas for better MPGs?!

Ive seen alot of tests done with this in 2nd gen ford explorers. Never corroded anything.....on the other hand its not like an amazing way to gain mpg or anything. Its just a cheaper way to boost your octane. My neighbor also has been doing for 5 years now with his corvette with no problems.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never tried it but from what I've read and learned from others is that acetone reduces the surface tension of gas. It apparently helps the fuel atomise better with a carburetor. I don't know if it would benefit fuel injection or not.
It's a popular trick with some ski-doo racers I know.
I doubt you would get any measurable fuel economy increase.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 PM
ron333
Captain

I appreciate you guys giving your input. This is a new idea for me so I will keep checking back for more.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you spill it down the side of your truck it will take the paint off. The best way to gain mpg is to drive 55.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 PM
CoastieJack
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 1BigRamaniac

If you spill it down the side of your truck it will take the paint off. The best way to gain mpg is to drive 55.
Agreed. Engines are meant to burn gasoline and gasoline only, acetone is great for one thing: disolving solvents and plastic, so used in small amounts may clean up build-up in fuel filters (which sends it to the injectors.. read: bad!) or just wear away other things like injector bodies.. and that's about it. I wouldn't use it.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Nigerian email scam
called the 409 by pros
where they ask you to help them move money to your bank account
is one of the most succesful scams of all time.

The acetone in gasoline scam
...a kind of "thought virus"
is shaping up to be the most succesful scam of its type ever,
drawing in more suckers than any previous trick.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1BigRamaniac

55mph is a magic number the do-gooders picked in the 1970's during the Arab Oil Embargo. It is nothing but bunk. MPG depends on properly inflated tires, a good air filter, a properly functioning transmission, good driving conditions, etc.

ORIGINAL: HankL

The Nigerian email scam
called the 409 by pros
where they ask you to help them move money to your bank account
is one of the most succesful scams of all time.

The acetone in gasoline scam
...a kind of "thought virus"
is shaping up to be the most succesful scam of its type ever,
drawing in more suckers than any previous trick.
The acetone myth has been around since the 1940's, yet people continue to fall for it.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:43 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Actualy there is a "sweet spot" in speed. It's the fasteset possible speed with the lowest RPM. It all depends on the final ratio.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 AM
OlsenG_360
Professional

i experimented with acetone in the gasoline a couple years ago. didn't do anything to my mpg, but it did seem to help the engine idle a little smoother. this was on a 99 Grand Prix 3.8L engine btw...

Quick Reply: Adding acetone to gas for better MPGs?!