2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tires for 01 1500 QC w/ 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:05 AM
goofball1205
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for 01 1500 QC w/ 5.9

Im looking for suggestions on new tires for my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.9, I live in lower michigan and do mixed highway and small city driving with the occasional light off road trip, any suggestions on sizes, makes, and models would be greatly appreciated. Ive heard that Michelin is great and Goodyear is well, "good for a year" thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:12 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: Tires for 01 1500 QC w/ 5.9

Now you're opening a can of worms. It seems like no matter what make and model tire it is, there's a wide variety of reviews on them. A good place to check out tires and reviews is Tirerack. I have a set of Firestone Steeltex's coming for my truck. My Uncle's Chevy 1/2 ton came with these from the factory, and they seem like a really good tire. Handle pretty good on dry pavement, stable in rain and snow, pretty good in light mud (hasn't tested them in deep mud), and he gets about 80k out of each set. I can't wait to see how they are on my Ram.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:37 PM
goofball1205
Default bridgestone dueler A/T Revos

what about bridgestone dueler A/T revo they have a lot of good reviews on tire rack, has any body had these or heard anything about them thanks again

Old 12-05-2004, 03:13 PM
vlsun
Veteran
Default RE: bridgestone dueler A/T Revos

i have the firestone steeltex, they're decent, good traction in foul weather. i'd like to try michelin ltx m/s once these wear out.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

ORIGINAL: goofball1205

what about bridgestone dueler A/T revo they have a lot of good reviews on tire rack, has any body had these or heard anything about them thanks again
Performance wise, I hear they're awesome...great on dry pavement, excellent in snow/rain, and clear out the treads fairly well when in mud. Mileage is where I hear a lot of complaints though. It's a duel compound tire (probably why it's called the Dueller )...a harder compound on top of a softer one. Apparently when the harder compound wears through, road noise picks up a bit and the tires wear pretty rapidly. I have a buddy who has them on his Cherokee, and he loves them, but he's only had them for less than a year so he hasn't gotten down to the stickier compound yet.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

ORIGINAL: vlsun

i have the firestone steeltex, they're decent, good traction in foul weather. i'd like to try michelin ltx m/s once these wear out.
What kind of mileage have you gotten out of them? I don't expect to get the 80K my Uncle gets since my Dodge is heavier than his Chevy (and I like to run a lower pressure than he does), but I'd be happy to get 60K out of them.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:26 AM
vlsun
Veteran

i couldn't tell ya, the truck came with these when i bought it over the summer. i've also done a lot of peeling out, heh.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:30 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: goofball1205

I had these on my Jeep GC, didn't care for them all that much. The next tire on there was a Toyo Open Country, liked that one much better, quieter ride, slightly better milage and still was able to do the type of off-roading I like to do. I have the BFG AT's on my Ram and can't wait to get rid of them. Absolutly no wet traction at all. I've slid into a couple of intersections when the tires all locked up because of lack of traction.

Quick Reply: Tires for 01 1500 QC w/ 5.9