2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Spartan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question

Hey all, Im a newbie here so a little background then questions. Im 17 and just purchased a 99 SLT Quadcab, shortbed with the 360. I have a decent knoledge about cars and there mods "my dad owns a Miata which we put a blower on". However I moved from texas to MI last summer and was expecting to buy a miata .....not a 4x4. I love the truck only complaint is 10-12 mpg, but we didnt buy em for the mileage did we. Ok now for Questions. I would like to Add a 2" leveling kit up front and then possibly a 2" add-a-leaf in the rear "depending on looks with the leveling kit". The reason is more for a slightly improved look and a 295 or so tire size "well talk about " re-gearing" later". however i dont want to use a spacer...to me it seemslike the cheap/incorrect way to do it "NOT saying any one who has done it is wrong....just not the way i would have done it". Can you get a 2" taller spring and the appropraite shock as a package from somewhere? and if so how do you tell how far a shock can "travel/extend" srry term is new to me...?
Also i have the factory 16x7 alloy wheels "not the swept 5 spoke sports or the 5 spoke off-rosds either" can you fit a 75 wide tire on there? currently there 265/70 im just conserend that if i ever get the 295's or so that the tire will look to thin at a 70 width.
Also is there anyone located near Midland MI?
Thnx for the info

Old 12-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: Newbie Question

I've heard swapping in springs from a 3/4 or 1 ton Ram will give you about 2" of lift (1/2 ton off-road package spring would probably do it too). The thing you have to consider is, by going with a lift spring your ride qualities will be affected slightly (they're higher rate springs, so you'll have a stiffer ride), so you may want to consider using a spacer afterall. Either way of lifting the truck is absolutely fine though (meaning it's not the incorrect way or dangerous or anything). It boils down to personal preference.

As for shocks, two inches shouldn't necessitate (sp?) new shocks if it's a pavement pounder, but it wouldn't hurt. You can just stop by your local auto parts store and ask for a longer shock and they'll hook you up.

Your thoughts on the tires are off a little bit. On a 295/75, the 75 is not the width...the 295 is. The first number is width, and the second is the aspect ratio (the ratio of sidewall height to width). A 295 tire is 11.6" wide, which is pretty wide for a 7' wheel, but it will fit.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:38 AM
mikangel

In answer to your questions, yes, you can buy the lift for your truck...
I bought one from RoughCountry. It's a 2.5 inch coil lift, with new shocks, and an add-a-leaf rear end. You have to call them up, because they don't have it advertised online, but it comes with 2.5 inch coils, which are a light duty 3/4 coil, and you can buy the add-a-leaf and shocks along with it. All in all, it comes out to about $300. You do have to buy new shocks up front, but your rear shocks will be fine. As far as the tires, right now, since I'm waiting for my lift to come in, I've got 295/75R16 BFG AT's on my stock 16x7 rims, and I rub a little bit up front, but once I get my lift on, they will be good. You could probably run 285/75R16 without rubbing at all. I've got a 98 1500 4X4, so the truck is about the same as yours

Old 12-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Spartan
Rookie

Ramtuff thanx for the Tire clear up " now i kinda feel stupid but at least i learned. As far as ride is conserend i dont think im to worreyied about it. Probly wont be worse then a 3/4 cummings i rode in "although i found those very stiff". Mikangel i will look in to the package 300$ isnt to bad "but was about my limit" and as for tires mine arn't great but not due till next winter or so so ill see. did you mean that with the 2" lift 295's will fit fine? also do you have any pics? iff so let me know and ill get you my e-mail.

New>? What is all this stiff about re-geaering?

The truck is a 90% pavement truck just the occasional swing in the snow "havnt found mudd up here yet so ... i dont really need to do anything i guess just looking for small improvements

Old 12-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Tempsho
Professional

Must be a newbie question because about 10 threads down there is a topic on this exact question........ Thats ok though

I did a write up about the 2" leveling kit using coils from Skyjacker which are 2" taller. I was like you, I didnt want to use spacers. Its wasnt much more to buy new coils.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_28267/mpage..._/tm.htm#28267

This is my truck before after the lift, bigger tires, and removal of the decals.

The rear is still the stock height. I would suggest getting an add-a-leaf if you want to raise the rear end back up about 2" (with just a 2" lift in the front, it looks like the truck sits a bit low in the back) This will give you exactly 2 inches more of supsension travel, which is great if your doing highway speeds down a rougher road (which is why I got the kit). You can still use the factory shocks, but if they have 50K or more on them, I would suggest replacing them.

You'll have no problems fitting a 285/75R16 tire. Although depending on the backspacing of your rim, you'll probably rub on the lower control arms on a full lock turn.

There are more pics on my site
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=259005&page=9

That should give you some ideas for now

Old 12-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Spartan
Rookie

Ya i think that is exactly what i was looking for. Do the springs you got from skyjacker have about the same rates as the stock ones? because i was thinking in school today and although i can deal with a 3/4 like ride i would pref not to have one. my shocks have around 80K miles on em "i asume there the factory shocks and havnt been replace". Also what exactly does a steering brace and stabelizer do and do you need them with only the 2 " lift "well i know you dont need em but what advantages come with it?.....On tires im still confused a little. I understand that the 2** is the width in what units mm? and then the 7* is the ratio of sidewall hideth to the wideth? But im really more conserned about diameter then width? i realize that 285/75 are widerAND taller "assuming because the ratio is more as well as the width" then standerd but how much taller are they? is there a way to tell buy the number or do u just have to know?... What was the price for the coils/spring and add-aleaf ? by the way would you also suggjest replaceing the rear shocks as well ? How wide are the 285's... i heard ^ the 295 were 11.6 " that seems immposible to fit those on a 7" rim....If the 85's rub with a 2" lift i think i wont go with 95's P.S sorry for starting a thread that was already here ....

Thnx for the help so far

Old 12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Spartan

On tires im still confused a little. I understand that the 2** is the width in what units mm? and then the 7* is the ratio of sidewall hideth to the wideth? But im really more conserned about diameter then width? i realize that 285/75 are widerAND taller "assuming because the ratio is more as well as the width" then standerd but how much taller are they? is there a way to tell buy the number or do u just have to know?...
Yes, the first number is the width in milimeters. To find out what it would be in inches, divide that number by 25.4, because 25.4 milimeters equals one inch. So 295 mm divided by 25.4 equals 11.6 inches (rounded off to the nearest tenth).

To find out how tall it is, the math gets a little more involved. Since it's a 75 series tire, the sidewall height is 75% of the width of the tire. Take 295 and divide it by 4, then multiply by three (that's an easy way to get 75% of the width). Take that number and multiply it by two (because there's two sidewalls in the diameter), then divide by 25.4, and add in the wheel diameter, and that's your height. Example, 295 divided by 4 equals 73.75, times 3 equals 221.25 mm. Multiply that by 2 to get 442.5mm, then divide by 25.4 to get 17.42 inches of total sidewall height. Take 17.4 and add in the wheel diameter (16 inches in this case) and you get 33.4 inches for the overall diameter of the tire.

If you want to skip all the math (and I wouldn't blame you if you did), there are tire size calculators/convertors on many auto related websites. Just do a Google search and you should find a bunch.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Tempsho
Professional

The Skyjacker D20 front coils give you 2" and is the same rate at the 1500 coils. It still rides really nice, not harsh at all. A steering brace will add a second support for the sector shaft and will tighten up your steering box. www.solidsteel.ca for more info. Its a great investment. The dual shock kit also from Skyjacker will help to reduce steering bump when going down rougher roads. Instead of one small shock, the kit add 2 bigger ones. Its not expenise or hald to install yourself.

285/75R16 is a common aftermarket tire size for our generation of dodge rams. It just short of a 33" tall tire and you done have to re-gear unless you really notice a big difference, which you shouldnt.

285 = tread width
75 = sidewall height (percent of the tread width)
16 = size of rim

Like mentioned above, try searching for a tire ratio chart, there are lots of them out there. It should give you a better idea of whats going on. Dont quote me on this, but you probably have 3.55 gears.

Depending where you live, I got all my stuff from North Shore Off-Road in Vancouver, B.C. www.nsor.com There are lots of other 4x4 companies that sell lifts, so phone around and see who has the best price.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I replaced my 1500 springs up front with 2500 springs which gave me approx 2.5" of lift. I then threw some 2" blocks in the back to bring the back up a bit, now it's about 1.5" lower in the front, the ride is definately stiffer (but I like it that way anyway) and it looks way better. I have the 285's on it now and it looks pretty good. Not going to go to a bigger tire though, I like the 285's on there, if anything, a 305 75-16 tire (slightly wider) but keep the same height.

Check my car domain site for pics before the lift, not sure if there are any there from after the lift. I'll have to check at home...

edit: the 1st pic on the domain site is with the springs in the front only. the back is still stock height.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question