2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:51 PM
brcfan0142
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!

Hi guys, I'm new here. I just bought a 1999 dodge ram 5.2. The other day when i went to start it, it just cranked and wouldnt start. I checked the fuel pressure, it was fine. I checked the plugs for spark and I only had 3 firing. So I pulled the dist cap and rotor button and cleaned everything, including the plugs. (couldnt do a tune up till today, auto stores were closed) Anyways, after putting the cleaned parts back on the engine, it still wouldnt start. Ok, heres what dont make sense, I pulled the pcv valve and left it out of the valve cover, the enigne finally fired upafter alot of cranking. After about two minutes of keeping my foot on the gas, it smoothed out and idled fine even with the pcv valve back in the valve cover. It started everytime after that, even after sitting all night it started right up. I tuned it up today including, cap, rotor button, pcv valve, plugs and wires,and it still has a miss when I start it. Any ideas where to go from here? It just seems like it doesnt have the power it should. The guy at the parts store said the pcv valve wouldnt have prevented it starting. But after pulling it out of the valve cover it did........I'm confused...and have no service engine light on. Any imput would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:23 AM
mojo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help Please!

My first guess would be KARMA. Second Murphy's Law. However sounds like the fuel pump could be going. You might have had good pressure at start but not constant pressure to keep running. Fuel Pump issues are very common, there is no filter per say it is the sock on the end of the pump in the tank. Fuel pumps are also hit and miss. I think something was going on with that the same time you pulled the pcv out and got luky. I would check for a short in the wiring on the pump end first, a new pump would cost about $250.00