2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gutted Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutted Cat?

Wait.. so how do you get your inspections.. hmm im lost guys SHOW ME THE LIGHT!!! when they run an emissions test can they not tell?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:08 PM
TheForce55555
All Star
Default RE: Gutted Cat?

mine always passes with flying colors i guess. Or unless the guy who inspects my truck sticks the tube in another cars tailpipe.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bribe the mechanic or steal someone elses inspection stickers...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sliver_Power,

you're in Dallas right? Here's what they check for:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/publ...%204.htm#05.02

The exhaust system is right here:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/publ...%204.htm#20.14

If you gut the cat without physically damaging the outside case, they'll never know. It's only a visual inspection. They don't hook the exhaust up to a smog machine like California.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I inspect my own , and yes it legal .. PA emmisions get hook up on the computer as long there isno CEL or a bad gas cap you pass. the rest is on sight , cat has to be there but no way of testing if its gutted or not

Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

i have a big plate welded to the side of mine

Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

i just smogged my truck it is cali emission truck, whatever that means? but i live in reno,but they hook it up to the computer of the truck ,no tail pipe probing, if you have a CELthe smog machinewill fail it automatically , and nothing you can do about it, except what they "used" to do was hook up a new car and pass it that way,not even disconnecting the battery before smog and hook it back up and smog it really quick will work, because it has to go thru a drive cycle and the smog machine will reconize that, (my friend tried to do it ,did not work), so that way won't work either,but now they are updating the software and they are now encrypting the vin code into the computer of the vehicle so the smog machine will reconize the vin to the vehicle thats being smogged,so you cant cheat it thru on someone else's new car, the guys also said they cant change the readings like the older vehicles to cheat it thru, this is coming from a guy who passed two of my older vehicles in the past

Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

ok squirrel.. then what are they checking for when they hook the hose to my exhaust?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Ramdude95

Here in memphis the sheet gives a read out of the ppm (parts per million) of hydrocarbons and the percentage of carbon monixide in the exhaust stream. As far as I know that is what all "sniffers" look for when they violate your truck lol.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: padodgeram

I inspect my own , and yes it legal .. PA emmisions get hook up on the computer as long there isno CEL or a bad gas cap you pass. the rest is on sight , cat has to be there but no way of testing if its gutted or not
Myknow of a friend whohas a 97 1500 sport with a gutted cat and passes emissions i hear. But when they switched to obd II, does that make a difference since I am an 01? I also live in PA, and when the truck gets inspected, they use a wand that checks the exhaust. I have been told by some that you can run gutted, and others say you cannot pass with it gutted. They do the visual, and emissions. We all know about the o2 sims, but I would like to find out once and for all if I go out and gut my stock cat right now, and get my truck inspected tonight, that she will pass with out a doubt.

Quick Reply: Gutted Cat?