2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 PM
DodgeFan01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem

Ive posted this when I first joined the forums few months ago, didnt get any advice, will try once more.

Maybe twice every 2 weeks, when im at a complete stop, at a red light, my engine will idle funky, it slowly starts to "chug" andseem to knock around some. The RPM bounces around about 100 - 150 difference at whatever it naturally idle's at [600- 700ish I believe?] And when the light turns green I slowly push in gas peddle and it goes nowhere, ive gotten to the point once where my peddle was on the ground and im sitting there going nowhere, I let off it and slowly eas'd back in, it went down half way, then shot off like I slammed my foot on it.

Only once has happen that drastically. Other times it makes that noise at a red light, and when it greens and I ease on the peddle it'll accelerate without shootin off but still not quite as fast as it should. Other then that it starts up fine, runs smooth and great, and 95% of the time doesnt idle like this.

I always let my truck warmup 10 minutes or so, so I know its not cold after doing this, and I live in Ca. so tempature isnt even that bad to begin with. This could be 5 minutes after I get into my truck after it warms up, and leave, or I could be on the freeway for 2 hours going somewhere, stop at a market to get something to eat and a redlight on the way, I sit there waiting for the green and it does that ****.

Again this isnt everytime im sitting idle, its maybe 1 - 2 times every 2 weeks. I have noticed if I turn the truck off then on, it'll stop.

Any advice would be very very helpful, I dont know where to begin to look, im guessing fuel injectors possibly?

Truck has 124k Miles on it, engine was replaced at 121k Miles with a 71k engine of the same. So it now has 74k. Could something have been messed up when switching out engines? I bought it like this, and still have warranty on it, so if I can catch it due to engine problem before my war. goes out, that'd be great!

1998, 1500, 4x4 V8Magnum 5.9L If that helps any.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 PM
sandmanmi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Idle problem

fuel pumpmabey? check the fuelpresser.have you ever replaced the filter/regulater?

Quick Reply: Idle problem