2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loud noise from rearend!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 04:04 AM
DirtyD916
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud noise from rearend!!!!!!!!!

well for some time now there has been a noise coming from my rearend. It started out a month ago being a very quiet but noticable hum or buzz that sounded as if an axel bearing was out. But now a month later the sound is twice as loud! Also, when at a complete stop and you press on the gas, there seems to be some slap in the rear end and hesitates before the wheels start to turn. anyone know the problem. My dad said it was the gears and taht they were losose. Is this right.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:20 PM
banwhalen
Rookie
Default RE: Loud noise from rearend!!!!!!!!!

Yep. It's a Dodge. That's your problem. They are crap. My backend differential needs the gears/bearings replaced according to Mopar. I never did any real truck stuff with it either.

I'd hate to see the repair bills of those people who actually use the vehicle as a truck as opposed to a poser like mine.

I'd neve buy another mopar product again.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

ORIGINAL: DirtyD916

well for some time now there has been a noise coming from my rearend. It started out a month ago being a very quiet but noticable hum or buzz that sounded as if an axel bearing was out. But now a month later the sound is twice as loud! Also, when at a complete stop and you press on the gas, there seems to be some slap in the rear end and hesitates before the wheels start to turn. anyone know the problem. My dad said it was the gears and taht they were losose. Is this right.
Can we get a little ore info on your truck? Is it a half ton? 4x4?

With the delay you describe, I'd suspect u-joints or the gears themselves. If there's slop in the gears though, you'll find out in short order if you're still driving the truck, because they will fail and break.
Check your u-joints first though. It's a lot easier/cheaper than yanking the diff cover to inspect the gears.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

ORIGINAL: banwhalen

Yep. It's a Dodge. That's your problem. They are crap. My backend differential needs the gears/bearings replaced according to Mopar. I never did any real truck stuff with it either.

I'd hate to see the repair bills of those people who actually use the vehicle as a truck as opposed to a poser like mine.

I'd neve buy another mopar product again.
No offense, but it sounds like you're on the wrong website. I've used every Dodge truck I've owned as a truck (hauling, towing, off-roading, etc.), and my repair bills have always been very low.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
DirtyD916

its a 1998 half ton 1500 that is standard drive (4x2). I drive the truck as a daily driver and it never has been really used as a "truck" besides the occasional hauling a piece a lumber or wat have you. ANyways i dont really know whata u joint is, so can anyone show a picture of one?

Old 12-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

google image search for u-joint

just click and your answer will appear

Old 12-07-2004, 02:29 PM
banwhalen
Rookie

Why are there repair bills for a vehicle that is supposed to be "magnum" tough?

Since I bought the truck new, the following has either failed, need replaced, or adjusted, or still waiting on repair:

steering column bearing replaced due to rubbing noise
the fuel indicator went out and I ran out of gas at 1/4 tank
several visits to the dealership for loose tranny linkage
bearings in the rear differential still waiting on repair
drivers seat back is stuck and the plastic handle broke when trying to adjust it
rusted driver door, replaced
plastic inside panels in the rear area replaced day one from the ink dye blotches.
PCM replacement for the ping/knock: failed to do the trick.

again, the truck looks like the day it came out of the mexican manufacturing plant...

ALL maintenance done either on schedule or before

How embarassing for mopar to produce such nonsense... but then again the final assembly plant: Sasaito Mexico or whatever the **** name is.

So the bottom line is the truck needs to be renamed to the Dodge Lamb.

I don't find those kinds of repairs acceptable on a brand new truck

Old 12-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Maybe you got a lemon. Every manufacturer makes a few lemons here and there. I've owned several Ramchargers from the Mexican plant, and never put much more into them than general maintenance...so where your truck was built is not the problem. If you hate your truck so much, sell it. Then you can use the time you spend complaining on something more productive.

Quick Reply: Loud noise from rearend!!!!!!!!!