2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Head Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head Questions

well a little while after my header installI noticed a exhaust leak. It progressivly got worse to the point were its annoying as hell and my truck runs like ***. I was finially able to take a lok at it last weekend. I had done what everybody said and check the bolts every so often to the point they were always tight so I stoped checking. I had checked them like friday and couple were slighty lose but after tightening it still leaked. I went into the weekend thinking it was the header to collector flang.Sunday I had my bro in law take a look at it. He found that it the rear header to head flang. That flang just so happens to be the one we snaped the bolt off in the head on. I think it may have blew the gasket out by not having teh one bolt in there. Even after tightening the bolt thats there the leak don't go away. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO anyway looks like I'm gonna have to pull the head to either get the bolt out or replace the heads all together. I was gonna see about porting them but after reading on here I see thats not an option. Now my questions are what heads are good? I don't wanna spend a lot but I would like some more hp. I have found a couple on ebay but not sure if they are anygood or what I want. I see some that say magnum some say rt whats the difference? Will either work? Is it worth it? I'm not looking for a race truck just a little more get up.

Sorry for the long post but figured i'd give ya's a background on my issue. Thanks for your help !

Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 PM
TheForce55555
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head Questions

I would get the stock ones worked over, if they are not cracked or warped. Get them ported, polished. and avalve jobat a machine shop. look around some, of them arecrooks, BEWARE

Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either way you go its not gonna be cheap...

Old 01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

you get what you pay for!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

can you do that? cause i read threads on here that said you can't port the stock heads cause they are junk. I may just get the bolt out and keep them the way they are if its gonna cost too much.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you might be able to do a repair of the thread
on cylinder head still on the truck
with a 'Time-Sert'
which seems to work better than a Heli-coil

http://www.enginetech.com/pr_threadrepair.php

'left handed' drill bits
and the special ease-out kit from Sears
with the double ended taps
are good things to try on the broken stud

Old 01-12-2008, 02:17 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

see thats where the problem comes in. its the second to last hold on the rear of the head so getting a drill on it is a bitch plus you can't see what your doing. I don't wanna go drillng into my head blind and drill too far or off center and make things worse

Old 01-12-2008, 02:26 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

then you gotta pull the head and fix it..

Old 01-12-2008, 04:02 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Couple things you can do here. #1 before you get rid of your head or even take it off try drilling the bolt out and save the thread if you can...which entails taking bits that are progressively larger and drilling larger and larger holes untill the bolt is nothing more than a shell of threads at which point you can try and pry the threads out. #2 Get an ez-out, you drill into the bolt making a pilot hole for the ez-out. Put the ez out in and see if that doesnt pull the bolt out. (Id try the ez out first, because after drilling it out you cant get an ez out in, but after using the ez out you can still drill if one method doesnt work) #3 New heads. IMO the Rt heads would be nice, but for the same money as rt heads you can get edelbrock heads, which flow much better. If you want to get out cheep, get some replacement heads though. If you are looking for more power, Id say get 202 rt's or edelbrocks and have them fullyported and bb'd.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:03 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on everything indy said. you may have to get a right angle drill, and check your results with a mirror, but if you take your time and DONT break off a drill bit in the bolt, it'll come out. look at it this way, its messed up now, so you're unlikely to make anything worse.
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-G...189&sr=1-3

Quick Reply: Head Questions