2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:30 PM
LALOLAND
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case swap

Can anyone tell me if a 231 t-case is interchageable with a 241?

Old 01-14-2008, 07:00 PM
zique
Captain
Default RE: Transfer case swap

I looked into that a month or so ago. From what I gather, no. I know the 241 is about 3" short than the 231. That aside, the input shaft is larger in diameter as well I believe. The guts however are aparantley interchangeable, but I couldn't verify that for you since I haven't ever been inside a 241.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 PM
nhlbill
Veteran
Default RE: Transfer case swap

Whats Up Lalo??

How have you been? Is the t-case in your truck done?

I called JB Conversions and talked with John at length to find out what the best option for my truck would be. I wound up ordering a brand new NV231HD from him which is basically a standard NV231 housing with NV241 internals. It has a 6-pinion planatary gear set, wider chain, 32 spline output, and a slip yoke eliminator which all add up to big strength increases. His transfer cases are all brand new so they do not require any "core" charges like with a rebuilt or remanufactured unit.

The case is the exact same case as your NV231D, so it bolts right in. All linkage, bolt patterns, vacuum lines etc...bolt right up. The front driveshaft of your truck can be retained and reused as is. Your rear driveshaft has to be converted from your current "Slip Yoke" set up, to a "CV style" dirveshaft. This is something any driveline shop can do for you, but I took mine out and had "Front Range Driveline" make the new shaft. Front Range is on south Federal Blvd. just south of Hampen.

This would be a great option for you that would provide a significantly stronger transfer case and an easy swap.

Good luck Lalo!!!

Quick Reply: Transfer case swap